HOME SAFETY TIPS
Home safety is critical. Here are some well-known yet effective prevention tips that can help protect your home:
• It is advisable to install a security system and burglar bars to enhance safety. Another added benefit is a possible reduction in your premium by taking this step.
• Install smoke detectors and ensure that the batteries are replaced at least once a year. Another consideration can be to hard-wire your detectors, so you aren’t as reliant on batteries.
• Be vigilant with your electrical cords; check regularly to see if they are worn, frayed or have exposed wire. If so, replace immediately, don’t delay.
• Ensure that you avoid overloading outlets, and extension cords. This is can be a serious hazard.
• Turn off appliances when not in use.
• Never store flammable liquids such as cleaning agents near heating units.
• A kitchen is often times where most fires originate. Ensure that a fire extinguisher is kept near the exit of the kitchen. Do not place extinguisher near the stove or toaster oven.
• It is also advisable to keep additional fire extinguishers near the exits of your home.
• Exercise caution in handling flammable items. Never leave candles burning unattended or near anything flammable. • Have an emergency evacuation plan for your family in the event.
In addition, here are some other steps to assist in making your home safer.
• If you go out at night, leave lights on and maybe a radio on inside.
• Do not leave keys hidden outside your home.
• Be wary of posting messages on social media indicating that you are away or on vacation.
Homeowners’ insurance is a necessity. Ensure that you have adequate coverage. Ensure that you have sufficient coverage for your contents as well. Discuss home contents insurance, and even the possibility of bundling your policies, with your insurance provider.