Police Association stands with Cops in Unlawful Killing Ruling
Some of the police allegedly involved in the killings of three of the “Vieux Fort Five” are to challenge the verdict by a Coroner’s Inquest. which found on Friday May 27 that the three were fatally shot by the police and were unlawfully killed.
Jn Baptiste McFarlene, Mitchel Cadette and Allan Lenny Louisy were among the five men who died in May 2011 during a police operation in Vieux Fort.
The President of the Police Welfare Association (PWA), Camron Laure, told the Times that the police officers involved had already expressed their discomfort with the manner in which the inquest was held. Laure said he was aware that the officers had written to the Coroner indicating that they were of the opinion that they would not get a fair hearing. He revealed that their opinion was based on pronouncements made by Prime Minister Doctor Kenny Anthony, utterances on the political platform and reports in the media.
“But it has gone through – the verdict is in. The guys are not comfortable with the conduct of the inquest and their intentions are to challenge the conduct of the inquest and the verdict sometime in the very near future,” Laure said.
According to him documents have already been filed in the High Court and the PWA had met the officers and indicated its support.
In addition to the verdict of three unlawful killings, the inquest returned verdicts of death by misadventure and an open verdict in the case of the two others.