Rotary Clubs of Saint Lucia celebrate 50 Years of Service
The Rotary Clubs of Saint Lucia are celebrating 50 years of “Rotary in St. Lucia” from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017 under the theme “Service with a Golden Touch”.
Rotary was founded in Chicago, Illinois in 1905. The first Rotary Club in Saint Lucia was sponsored by the Rotary Club of Runcorn in the U.K. and chartered on July 21, 1966 under President Sir Garnet Gordon (QC). In 1975 the second club, Rotary Club of St. Lucia South, in Vieux Fort was chartered under President Victor Eudoxie. In 1993, three Past Presidents from the Rotary club of St. Lucia - Lisle Chase, Tom Alexander and Mike Thom - helped establish and charter the Rotary Club of Gros Islet. Today there are some 70 Rotarians on the island.
Rotary International is the largest international Service organisation whose stated human purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and advance goodwill and peace around the world. There are approximately 1.3 million Rotarians in over 200 countries and territories. Rotary’s primary motto is “Service Above Self” and its secondary motto is “One Profits Most Who Serves Best.”
The 50th Anniversary Celebration commenced with a service at the Castries Methodist Church followed by a fellowship breakfast for club members and family. On August 7 the clubs hosted a “Family Day” for the entire Rotary family in Saint Lucia at the Pigeon Island National Landmark. A number of activities, community service events and social engagements will continue into 2017.
The Rotary Clubs of Saint Lucia would like to express profound thanks and appreciation to the numerous individuals and corporate sponsors who have given financial and material support for the work of Rotary over the past 50 years.