Ched Evans rape trial: woman ‘woke up naked and con­fused’

The Star (St. Lucia) - - INTERNATIONAL -

The for­mer Sh­effield United striker is on trial for a sec­ond time af­ter his orig­i­nal con­vic­tion was quashed on ap­peal.

A woman al­legedly raped by foot­baller Ched Evans told po­lice her mem­ory of much of the evening was “dead blurred”, a court has heard.

Pros­e­cu­tors say the woman was too in­tox­i­cated to con­sent when Evans had sex with her at a ho­tel in North Wales.

The 27-year-old has gone on trial for a sec­ond time af­ter his pre­vi­ous con­vic­tion for rape was quashed by the Court of Ap­peal.

Evans, who plays for League One club Ch­ester­field, de­nies rap­ing the woman in May 2011.

On the sec­ond day of the new trial at Cardiff Crown Court, ju­rors watched a DVD record­ing of the woman, who can­not be named for le­gal rea­sons, speak­ing to po­lice.

She told of­fi­cers she had two glasses of wine at around 11pm on 29 May be­fore head­ing to a night­club where she bought four dou­ble vod­kas and lemon­ade and a Sam­buca.

She said she put one down on a speaker be­fore go­ing out­side for a cig­a­rette and then re­turn­ing to fin­ish it.

“I re­mem­ber danc­ing... but then I can’t re­mem­ber any­thing af­ter that,” she said.

“I vaguely re­mem­ber I had a pizza in my hand (at one stage) and the next thing I re­mem­ber I woke up in the Premier Inn.

“Ev­ery­thing was dead blurred.”

The jury heard she told of­fi­cers she had no idea how she got to the ho­tel, near Rhyl.

She said: “I’ve drunk a lot more than that be­fore and I didn’t black­out be­fore and not been able to re­mem­ber things.”

When asked how she felt the fol­low­ing morn­ing, the woman replied: “I felt re­ally shaken when I woke and I just felt drained and tired.

“I didn’t feel like this the night be­fore, which is why I felt like I had been spiked.”

She also said: “I was in the bed on my own and I wasn’t dressed. I felt dead con­fused... I did not know what to do or where I was.”

Ju­rors have been told the woman had gone to the Premier Inn with Evans’ friend Clay­ton McDon­ald, who was ac­quit­ted at the ear­lier trial.

The court heard she had been seen “stag­ger­ing” drunk in a ke­bab shop be­fore get­ting into a cab with him and head­ing off.

Pros­e­cu­tors said Evans, who used to play for Sh­effield United, Manch­ester City and Wales, ar­rived at the ho­tel 15 min­utes later in a taxi af­ter Mr McDon­ald al­legedly phoned him to say “I’ve got a girl”.

The jury was also played a recorded in­ter­view with the al­leged vic­tim from July 2011 in which of­fi­cers re­vealed traces of co­caine and cannabis had been found in her urine.

She ad­mit­ted to them that she had tried both drugs a “few weeks be­fore” but had “not done them re­cently”.

She said: “From what I re­mem­ber that night, I did not take any drugs that night.”

The trial con­tin­ues.

Ched Evans and his part­ner Natasha Massey re­turn to court af­ter a break.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Saint Lucia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.