$107bn seized in Saudi corruption purge; all but 56 released
JEDDAH: Fifty-six corruption suspects remain in custody out of the 381 highprofile figures detained on graft allegations, said Sheikh Saud Al-Mojeb, Saudi Arabian attorney general, on Tuesday.
Al-Mojeb said he decided to release all those proven not guilty, as well as others who had agreed to financial settlements with the government after admitting to corruption charges.
Al-Mojeb said the total settlements with the suspects had topped $107 billion, which came in various forms of assets.
News broke earlier on Tuesday that Saudi authorities had released all remaining detainees from Riyadh’s RitzCarlton Hotel, which had been used as an interrogation center in a crackdown on corruption, according to a Saudi official.
“There are no longer any detainees left at the Ritz-Carlton,” the official told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity under briefing rules.
He did not say how many suspects remained in detention at other locations in Saudi Arabia. Some are believed to have been moved from the Ritz to prison after refusing to admit wrongdoing and reach financial settlements with the authorities.
He said those who remained in custody were still under investigation as the legal procedures continued.