TAKE FIVE MINUTES TO RELAX
The moment you start to feel anxious in a social setting, excuse yourself, find a quiet place, and practise muscle relaxation. Here’s how:
1. Find a comfortable place where you can sit down.
2. Flex your feet, pull your toes towards you, and feel the tension in your calves. Hold for five seconds, then relax.
3. Pause for 10 seconds, then tighten your thighs, press your knees together, and hold for five seconds. Release and pause for 10 seconds.
4. Repeat this process with the muscles in your bum, stomach, lower back and shoulders.
5. Finally, smile widely, feeling your mouth and cheeks tense. Squint until your eyes are tightly shut and hold for five seconds, then release.
6. Imagine a wave of relaxation spreading through your body from your head all the way down to your feet. Feel the weight of your body. Then take three slow breaths in and out.
7. Once your nerves are steady, go back to working the room. You’re likely to feel more at ease now.