Life Made Easy
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO MANAGE YOUR WORK, SEX LIFE, RELATIONSHIPS, HEALTH AND MORE
She’s been blogging under her pseudonym, Ai Sakura, for two-and-half years and won Best Family Blog at the Singapore Blog Awards 2013. The 29-year-old working mum shares tips on how to maintain a good blog.
• A (cyber)space to call your own Get your own domain name, like a personal dotcom site, says Ai. “It’s easier to market yourself. Registering a domain name starts from $10 a year.”
• Make it easy Keep it “clean”, says Ai. “Try to use a white background, and have just three to five full stories to a page. Some bloggers use a ‘read more’ link that expands to the full story when you click on it, to fit more stories into a page and still provide for easy scrolling.”
• Don’t forget visuals Add pictures to your stories, although you don’t have to do it for every blog entry. “Your pictures should be relevant to your topic, and enhance what you’re saying.” If you don’t have the images you want, source royaltyfree ones on iStockphoto or stock.xchng, suggests Ai.
• Keep articles short Ideally, a blog post should be around 300 to 500 words, but if you have a lot to say, “write a feature series,” says Ai. “It’s easier for readers to digest the information and makes them want to return to discover the whole story.”
• Add value “If you like doing crafts with your kids, don’t just blog about it – give tutorials so readers can do them too,” suggests Ai.
• Have a posting schedule “I try to blog on certain days of the week, so my readers can expect an entry on that day.”
In The Spotlight...
AI SAKURA blogger at www.sakuraharuka.com