Mantras to get you through a tough day at the office.
YOU’VE GOT THE MONDAY BLUES
Remember this line: “Can’t nothing bring me down… Because I’m happy.” – From the song Happy by Pharrell Williams, on the
Despicable Me 2 soundtrack The takeaway message: This line from the infectiously upbeat pop hit is a reminder to not let anything get in the way of your positive mindset. Count your blessings and, if you need to pep yourself up, put this song on auto-replay!
YOU FEEL LIKE GIVING UP IN THE MIDDLE OF A DIFFICULT PROJECT
Remember this line: “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.”
– Henry Ford The takeaway message: It’s easy to come up with excuses for why you should give up or not do the best you’re capable of. You can change that negative mood in an instant simply by telling yourself that you can do it.
YOU JUST BOTCHED A BIG PRESENTATION
Remember this line: “Let it go, let it go! Turn my back and slam the door.” – From the song Let It Go by Demi Lovato, on the Frozen soundtrack The takeaway message: So you didn’t do as great as you’d hoped but so what? If you can’t do anything to change the outcome, there’s no point revisiting the situation in your head. Leave it behind you, move on and make like the cheerful snowman Olaf.
YOUR BOSS OR COLLEAGUE JUST CRITICISED YOUR WORK
Remember this line: “You shoot me down but I won’t fall, I am titanium.”
– From the song Titanium by David Guetta The takeaway message: The more you dwell on what your boss or colleague said and how he said it, the less motivated you will feel to work or do a good job. Make a note of their constructive comments, acknowledge where you went wrong, and don’t think about it again.
YOU’RE EXPERIENCING A MID-AFTERNOON SLUMP
Remember this line:
“Run, Forrest, run!” – From the movie Forrest Gump The takeaway message: Don’t let a little fatigue derail you from the task at hand. Close your eyes, take a deep breath and tell yourself to just keep going.
YOU’RE NERVOUS ABOUT AN IMPORTANT MEETING
Remember this line: “Baby, you’re a rework. Come on, show ’em what you’re worth. Make ’em go, ah, ah, ah.”
– From the song Firework by Katy Perry The takeaway message: Don’t let your nerves get to you. You know you’re prepared and that you’ve got what it takes to wow everybody in the room. Now find your confidence and reassure yourself that you’ll do a brilliant job.
YOU’RE TOTALLY STRESSED OUT BY DEADLINES
Remember this line: “Relax, take it easy. For there is nothing that we can do.”
– From the song Relax, Take It Easy by Mika The takeaway message: Stress is energy-draining. Instead of working yourself into a tizzy over things you can’t control, calm down and do what you can as efficiently as possible rather than waste time panicking.
YOU HAVE TO WORK OVERTIME
Remember this line: “I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work.”
– Margaret Thatcher
The takeaway message: If you have to put in those few extra hours at the end of your workday, you know it’s got to pay off. So try not to feel bad for yourself and remember that a little hard work never killed anyone.
YOUR GOSSIPY COLLEAGUES ARE GETTING ON YOUR NERVES
Remember this line: “Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” – Socrates The takeaway message: Your colleagues’ gossiping reveals the type of people they are – and thank goodness you only have to work with them, not socialise with them, so why should it matter?
YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH DEMANDING CLIENTS
Remember this line: “A wise king never seeks out war. But he must always be ready for it.”
– From the movie Thor The takeaway message: You know that working with tough clients is part of your job, so rather than fight them or let them wind you up and sap your energy, tell yourself that you’ve got what it takes to handle them (and think of the hunky Chris Hemsworth while you’re at it).