Braised Asian Pork Belly
Serves 2 to 4 EASY
1kg pork belly 2 pinches salt 2 pinches pepper Cilantro, to garnish
For the braising liquid
3 cloves garlic
1 yellow onion, sliced
3 slices galangal (about 6g) 2 inches fresh ginger
3 Thai chillies (2 whole, 1 sliced and deseeded)
60ml apple juice
60ml light soy sauce
45ml dark soy sauce
300ml chicken stock
3g coriander seed
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Prepare braising liquid. Combine all the braising ingredients.
3. Make small slashes in the skin of the pork belly (you can get your butcher to do this for you). Sprinkle some salt and pepper onto the pork belly, taking care to rub the salt well into the slashes in the skin. Place the belly skin-side up in an oven-proof pan.
4. Carefully pour the braising liquid around the pork belly, making sure the skin stays dry and the liquid only rises up the side of the meat.
5. Braise in the oven for 90 mins. To check for doneness, use the tip of a fork to prick into pork belly. When clear juices flow out, meat is done. To crisp the skin and make the crackling, turn on the top grill and move the pan up to the top rack. Remove from the oven when the skin is sufficiently bubbly and crisp, about 7 mins.
6. Let the meat rest for 10 mins, then slice belly into 2-cm pieces. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!