First Culture Water Kefir
Makes 1 litre EASY
55g organic raw cane sugar or rapadura sugar
240ml filtered water
50 to 53g water kefir grains
1. Prepare two 1L Fido jars. Avoid metal utensils (except stainless steel) when making water kefir. Fill one jar with some hot filtered water, till about 3/4 full. Add sugar in and stir to dissolve.
2. Once sugar dissolves completely, fill the rest of the jar with room temperature filtered water, about 240ml.
3. Add water kefir grains to the full jar.
4. Cover the jar with a cheesecloth or coffee filter, and secure with a rubber band. Alternatively, close the air-tight Fido jar lid for a fizzier ‘soda’.
5. Leave jar in a warm spot for 24 to 48 hrs. Temperature should be between 20˚C to 28˚C.
6. Strain the liquid through a mesh strainer into the second Fido jar.
7. The first culture is now complete. It should smell sour but clean, with a crisp aroma. You can drink it at this point. It should taste slightly tart, with residual sugars comparable to a green apple. Serve chilled.
8. Restart the culturing process by adding the same amount of dissolved sugar water to your drained water kefir grains. An easy recipe to get you started on a healthy, gut-satisfying journey.