“MY TOD­DLER’S EN­TIRE HAND WAS BURNED BY BOIL­ING WA­TER” Dream holiday turns into a night­mare for this Sin­ga­pore fam­ily.

A happy fam­ily holiday turned into a night­mare when their tod­dler was scalded by boil­ing wa­ter and sus­tained sec­ond-de­gree burns. Her mum shares the hor­rific ex­pe­ri­ence with EVELINE GAN.

Young Parents (Singapore) - - Contents -

What started as a fun-filled win­ter holiday for Kelly Ng (not her real name) and her fam­ily ended in a hor­rific ac­ci­dent – her youngest daugh­ter, Sarah, was badly scalded by boil­ing wa­ter.

The 14-month-old tod­dler’s burn in­juries were so se­vere that she re­quired a skin graft.

Kelly had made an ur­gent dash for the toi­let that morn­ing af­ter in­struct­ing her older daugh­ters, aged five and three, to keep an eye on their lit­tle sis­ter. It was their last day in Tai­wan in De­cem­ber last year, and her hus­band had been busy pack­ing their be­long­ings.

“Barely sec­onds later, I heard Sarah cry­ing and my older kids scream­ing away,” the 40-year-old stay-home mum re­counts.

It was ev­ery par­ent’s worst night­mare: Sarah had pulled out the cord of the ket­tle, top­pling its con­tents – steam­ing boiled wa­ter – on her left hand.

Her arm and the rest of her body were, thank­fully, spared as they were pro­tected by thick win­ter cloth­ing.

Pan­ick­ing, Kelly placed her cry­ing tod­dler’s swollen hand un­der cool tap wa­ter and got her hus­band to call the ho­tel’s front desk for a taxi. By the time they reached the hos­pi­tal one-and-a-half hours later, blis­ters had sur­faced and “her en­tire palm and fin­gers were cov­ered with them. She was cry­ing but there was noth­ing much we could do”, says Kelly, who left the other kids with their fa­ther and grand­par­ents in the ho­tel room.

The doc­tors ad­vised ad­mit­ting Sarah for ob­ser­va­tion, but Kelly says they de­cided against it as they hoped to catch a

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Singapore

© PressReader. All rights reserved.