Missing miner’s body recovered
THE body of the fifth missing miner at the Sibanye-Stillwater’s Kloof Inkamva shaft was recovered yesterday.
“The bodies of all five employees who entered an abandoned area on Monday have now been recovered,” a Sibanye-Stillwater official said.
The mine said a thorough investigation will be performed to uncover the circumstances that led to the latest incident at the mine. Four other bodies were recovered earlier this week.
Amcu has called on President Cyril Ramaphosa to intervene in amending mine safety legislation to curb deaths at mines.
Mineral Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe said it was a “challenge” to stop the Kloof and Driefontein reef from becoming a killing field.
The latest deaths brings to 19 the number of workers who have lost their lives this year.