A

CityPress - - News - SIZWE SAMA YENDE sizwe.yende@city­press.co.za

de­ci­sion by the act­ing head of the Hawks to per­son­ally take over a docket that could lead to the re­in­state­ment of charges of fraud and cor­rup­tion against Kaizer Chiefs boss Bobby Mo­taung has been cited as a rea­son for the most re­cent de­lay in the case.

Act­ing Hawks head Ma­jor Gen­eral Mthandazo Ntle­meza has al­legedly de­clined to give the Na­tional Pros­e­cut­ing Author­ity (NPA) the docket im­pli­cat­ing Mo­taung and five oth­ers in ten­der ir­reg­u­lar­i­ties re­lated to the R1.2 bil­lion con­struc­tion of Mbombela Sta­dium be­fore the 2010 soc­cer World Cup.

The unit’s Mpumalanga-based in­ves­ti­ga­tor, War­rant Of­fi­cer Mashudu Mashamba, had been re­moved from the case and the docket has been sent to Pre­to­ria.

But a po­lice source who is close to the case told City Press the NPA re­quested the docket on May 15 with a view to re­in­stat­ing the charges against Mo­taung and his five co-ac­cused, but Ntle­meza re­fused to hand it over.

The case has been in limbo since the Nel­spruit Re­gional Court struck it off the roll in June 2013 be­cause of the NPA’s bun­gle. The NPA could not de­cide if it wanted the trial to con­tinue in the re­gional court or be trans­ferred to the high court. Its head of­fice is­sued two let­ters – one say­ing it should stay in the re­gional court and an­other sup­port­ing a trans­fer to the high court.

But City Press has learnt that Ntle­meza re­moved the docket from Mpumalanga a week ago with­out giv­ing any rea­sons.

“Af­ter the case was struck off the roll, the in­ves­ti­gat­ing of­fi­cer did some more work. The in­ves­ti­ga­tion is com­plete and the NPA wants to put the case back on the court’s roll, but Ntle­meza has been re­fus­ing to [sup­ply] the docket,” the source said. Mashamba de­clined to com­ment be­cause he is not au­tho­rised to speak to the me­dia. Mo­taung’s com­pany, Le­fika Emerg­ing Eq­uity, was awarded a ten­der to de­sign the sta­dium in 2006.

The Hawks ar­rested Mo­taung; his part­ner, Her­bert Theledi; and Le­fika CEO Chris Grip in Au­gust 2012 for al­legedly: Us­ing a false tax cer­tifi­cate when they bid for the ten­der to de­sign the sta­dium; Forg­ing an Mbombela mu­nic­i­pal coun­cil let­ter to get a R1 mil­lion over­draft; and Steal­ing R143 mil­lion. Soon af­ter the trio was ar­rested, they were in­dicted on ad­di­tional charges of fraud, cor­rup­tion and con­tra­ven­tion of the Mu­nic­i­pal Fi­nance Man­age­ment Act. The charges re­lated to R920 mil­lion worth of sta­dium ten­ders.

Mo­taung and his ac­com­plices were charged along­side for­mer Mbombela mu­nic­i­pal manager Ja­cob Dladla, for­mer Eh­lanzeni Dis­trict Mu­nic­i­pal­ity tech­ni­cal manager Te­bogo Kubeka and Grip’s lawyer, Michael Ramos.

Mthandazo Ntle­meza

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.