Siyo is in line for Hexecution
New kid on the block thinks he can dethrone the WBA champ
Boxing’s new kid on the block Siyabonga Siyo is gunning for Hekkie “Hexecutioner” Budler’s World Boxing Association (WBA) minimumweight title.
After beating Filipino Lito Dante by unanimous points decision to win the then vacant WBA international crown at Orient Theatre, East London, two weeks ago, the 26-yearold Duncan Village boxer says he cannot wait for the opportunity to challenge Budler.
The international title is one step away from the championship.
Rumours have already started doing the rounds about a possible match-up between Siyo and Budler.
The Hexecutioner also holds the International Boxing Organisation championship belt. He is arguably the country’s best boxer in the division since the late Jacob “Baby Jake” Matlala.
Budler is next scheduled to put his crown on the line against Simphiwe Khonco at Emperors Palace, Kempton Park, on September 19.
Thereafter, the Hexecutioner will consider the possibility of a bout with Siyo. That’s only if Budler wins, of course, and it could still happen as early as this year.
This is the clash Khonco’s camp has been yearning for, to prove that their charge has what it takes to dethrone the best. Siyo is champing at the bit. “I’m dying to fight Budler and prove that I’m the best in the division. The promoters are looking into the possibility of staging that bout sometime in December,” said Siyo.
He said he was keeping his fingers crossed for Budler to win against Khonco.
Budler said he would not get into the ring with Siyo at the moment.
“He should first be in the top ten position before I can give him a shot at my title,” said Budler.
According to Sijuta Promotions owner Andile Sidinile, Siyo has a bright future.
“He has a special talent that will enable him to win the world title. It will be nice for him to fight Budler,” said Sidinile.
Siyo’s victory brought his unblemished professional record to nine wins. So impressive was he on the night that he slipped punches with precision to unsettle the Filipino.
Sidinile said his charge would not fight for the national title.
“There’s no need for him to go for the South African crown because we have lined up international fights for him.
He should win them all and get a world title crack,” said Sidinile.
Shane Williams holds the ball in last year’s
Sasol Wheelchair Basketball French All
Star Tournament in Mandeville