R10m? What R10m?
SA high commissioner to Australia claims he is at the centre of a plot falsely claiming he took a bribe in 2010
the state had an “alarmingly feeble case against me” and had made “false assumptions” against him in determining that he had acted in a corrupt manner. The former KwaZulu-Natal premier, who will return to Australia to continue work after the Christmas break, told City Press he was “not afraid” of being convicted as he believed the case was “part of a plot”.
“This is part of a plot to destroy me and ruin my reputation. There’s no case here ... no case against me here. I believe I will be acquitted when the matter gets under way,” he said on Friday.
Ndebele declined to comment about who he believed was behind the plot against him but said he would continue in his post and return to South Africa for the trial.
Ndebele, who is also the chancellor of the University of Zululand, questioned the timing of the charges, saying there had been several Auditor-General reports in the years since he had left the transport ministry. “Why now?” he asked. Ndebele said he had been contacted in Australia by the SA Police Service and had been aware that he would be appearing in court in South Africa when he left Canberra. “I am going to clear my name eventually.” Ndebele (67) came under fire this week after making use of a blue-light convoy on Tuesday night to rush from his home in Durban north to KwaMashu to visit his gravely ill niece Sibongile (39), who later died.