Tommy Gun shoots him­self in the foot

Pro­moter calls boxer a‘ drug­gie and al­co­holic’, declar­ing his ca­reer over

CityPress - - Sport - PULE MOKHINE pmokhine@city­press.co.za

The once-glo­ri­ous box­ing ca­reer of Thomas “Tommy Gun” Oosthuizen has seem­ingly come to an end due to a lack of self-dis­ci­pline in and out of the ring. This af­ter the 27-year-old un­beaten for­mer In­ter­na­tional Box­ing Or­gan­i­sa­tion (IBO) light heavy­weight cham­pion was sacked by his sta­ble, Golden Gloves Pro­mo­tions, on Thurs­day.

Oosthuizen al­legedly told his pro­moter, Rod­ney Ber­man, this week he was not fit enough to chal­lenge World Box­ing As­so­ci­a­tion (WBA) light heavy­weight king­pin Jürgen Bräh­mer in Ger­many on March 16.

The boxer’s ac­tions led to the can­cel­la­tion of the bout, rub­bing Ber­man up the wrong way.

An an­gry Golden Gloves boss has la­belled Oosthuizen “a drug­gie and al­co­holic who is be­yond any help”.

A peeved Ber­man told City Press on Fri­day they were done with the pugilist, as he was ex­tremely illd­is­ci­plined.

“Look, this is the fi­nal nail in the cof­fin – Tommy is fin­ished as a fighter. I can’t see him hav­ing an­other fight. The stark re­al­ity is that he’s both a drug­gie and al­co­holic who is be­yond any help,” said Ber­man.

Ber­man said it was a hard pill to swal­low when Oosthuizen sidestepped the cru­cial fight against the Ger­man.

“He’s a prob­lem­atic young­ster who can­not con­trol him­self. I’m done with him be­cause he’s a dis­grace to box­ing.”

At­tempts to reach Oosthuizen were in vain, even through his trainer Harold Volbrecht.

In­stead, Oosthuizen ranted on Face­book with sar­cas­tic com­ments.

He wrote on Thurs­day: “I’m not in com­pe­ti­tion to prove I’m the best any more, if box­ing does not want to send me who they rate is the best in the sport then there is no need for me to boks [sic] at this mo­ment in my life ... I will go on with my life till then. I can do all things through Him [God] who strength­ens me. Not only box­ing.”

Volbrecht said his charge told him that he had sidestepped the Bräh­mer bout as he [Oosthuizen] wanted to fight the best in the world.

“I know noth­ing about him and drugs. His fam­ily told me he is not keen for a fight in Ger­many. I’m dis­ap­pointed the pro­moter has cut ties with him,” said Volbrecht.

This is the se­cond time in seven months that Oosthuizen has an­gered his prin­ci­pals.

In June last year, he lost his IBO light heavy­weight cham­pi­onship belt with­out de­fend­ing it af­ter he failed to meet the divi­sion’s weight re­quire­ments, ren­der­ing the ti­tle va­cant.

At the time, the Boks­burg, Ekurhu­leni-based boxer was due to de­fend his ti­tle against New Zealand’s Robert Berridge at Em­per­ors Palace in Kemp­ton Park.

It seems the Oosthuizen-Bräh­mer bout was doomed from the start.

The fight was orig­i­nally sched­uled to take place last Novem­ber in Monaco but was post­poned af­ter Bräh­mer suf­fered a hand in­jury.

PHOTO: CHRIS RICCO / BACKPAGEPIX

PROB­LEM CHILD?

Thomas Oosthuizen has an­gered his prin­ci­pals again

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.