How to be a black industrialist
As an example of a black industrialist, MD of ABI Bottling Velaphi Ratshefola offers the example of David Ramela, an employee of ABI supplier DDK Merchandising, who sold his home to buy the supplier business.
“DDK was one of a number of suppliers of merchandising solutions to ABI. Such was the desire to harvest the potential of the business, Ramela made the decision to sell his home to purchase a 60% share in the business. Soon after, he acquired the remaining 40%. Over the course of a few years, he grew the company from a turnover of R18 million and 56 staff in 2005, to a turnover of R135 million and a staff complement of 3 000 today.
“Through its offering to ABI, DDK has been able to build a track record of success that has allowed market access to other opportunities. Ramela is a prime example of a successful black industrialist.
“We helped him provide access to markets that is inclusive. With no inclusivity for the majority, our economy will fail, and our businesses will fail if we don’t develop an inclusive economy – and develop it fast,” says Ratshefola.