Jobless principal dies waiting
A KwaZulu-Natal principal has died after being removed from his post after an SA Democratic Teachers’ Union (Sadtu) fight over who should get his job.
Linda Zuma, a Sadtu member was appointed principal at Izingolweni Primary School in June 2013 and worked for a year until a dispute over his appointment sparked a new selection process. But when the interviews were reopened, Zuma was not short-listed. The father of three was instead sent back to his old school, but his old job had already been taken.
Zuma (44) was then told to report to the education department circuit offices daily while they found him a new job. He started suffering from depression and died while getting ready to report for duty at the education department office at Port Shepstone on March 15.
A friend and fellow Sadtu activist told City Press that Zuma was removed from the post and “dealt with” for being part of protests against the return to work of regional director, Mfundi Sibiya. Sibiya, a former Sadtu PEC member investigated by the Volmink commission, was charged with the murder of Sadtu Ugu chairperson Nkosinathi Zondi in May 2013. Zondi’s murder blew the lid off the jobs-for-cash scandal. Charges against Sibiya were withdrawn last year after a state witness refused to testify. The hit men will appear in court next month for trial.
A colleague said that Zuma “spoke out about corruption and the sale of posts”.
Education spokesperson Sicelo Khuzwayo said Zuma did not necessarily qualify to be reinterviewed for his job. “He was one of the most respected and hard-working educators in the district,” he said. Neither Sibiya nor Sadtu provincial secretary Nomarashiya Caluza responded to calls requesting comment.
– Paddy Harper (pictured),