ANC man dies in list battle
A person died this week in the North West’s Kenneth Kaunda region in Matlosana, the secondbiggest city in the province, as tensions mount over the nomination of ANC councillor candidates for August’s local poll.
The death of Lucky Rapulane Motseare (35) came amid revelations of a secretly recorded meeting where plans were being made, allegedly by senior regional leaders, to use their powers to rig the outcomes of the nominations processes.
Motseare’s sister, Ntsoaki, told City Press yesterday that her brother was hit on the lower abdomen by a brick during a fight while attending the ANC meeting to select councillor candidates for Ward 22 last month in Kanana township. He died of kidney failure in Matlosana’s Tshepong hospital last Saturday and he was buried yesterday.
ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe said yesterday that nobody should manipulate the councillor nomination processes because “that is what makes us struggle to win even the wards that are strongholds of the ANC”. “When you put in a person that is not popular, you also create independents in that process,” Mantashe said.
On Friday, City Press visited the area to verify a leaked audio recording in which ANC regional leaders discussed the plan.
Matlosana regional leader Frank Malongoa is heard telling a “secret” meeting, attended by a select group of people, that there was “a church” – seen as reference to a cabal – which had the sole authority to decide who became an ANC councillor.
He claimed in the recording that a “church meeting” in Alabama in Matlosana had produced a full list of potential ward and proportional representation councillors. He also said he had opened the envelopes, with the names of nominated candidates in them, when it arrived from branches. He had secretly shared the information with regional secretary Lopang Rothman to give an update on how many people from the church’s preferred list were successfully nominated.
Malongoa is also a member of the ANC’s regional list committee in Kenneth Kaunda that is meant to oversee the fair and proper functioning of branch nominations and ward selection processes.
Malongoa yesterday did not deny knowledge of the meeting and that he had participated in it.
“When we talk about the church, we are referring to lobby groups within the branches,” he said. He said he was duty-bound to share information with Rothman, who is politically his senior.
Malongoa swore that the agency running the election process on behalf of the party would confirm that no envelopes with nominees’ names in them were tampered with.
ANC secretary in North West Dakota Legoete said yesterday the recording was evidence of “a serious misconduct” and a matter for a disciplinary process. Legoete said “those alleging that rigging and manipulation was widespread in the province must produce evidence”.
But yesterday, Rothman could not be reached for comment.
Phosa rejects ‘silly’ settlement offer in battle with Mabuza
Former ANC treasurer-general Mathews Phosa has described the out-of-court settlement proposal that was demanded by Mpumalanga Premier David Mabuza for accusing the latter of being an apartheid spy as “silly”, and has rejected it.
Mabuza filed a R10 million defamation lawsuit last year after Phosa admitted that he submitted a dossier to ANC deputy secretary-general Jessie Duarte in September 2014 for an investigation to be conducted. In the dossier he alleged that Mabuza had operated as an apartheid government spy.
The case is set to start in the Northern Gauteng High Court tomorrow, but it is unclear if Mabuza will be able to attend as he has been on a state visit to Angola this week. Mabuza is expected to return from Angola today.
Phosa said: “He asked for a postponement and I refused. He made a silly offer of settlement [and] I rejected it.”
However, Phosa declined to give details of the settlement, saying it was “confidential”.
Mabuza’s spokesperson, Zibonele Mncwango, could not be drawn into commenting about the settlement. He merely confirmed that the case was proceeding on Monday.
At the centre of the case is Phosa’s former butler, Jan Venter. Venter set the cat among the pigeons early last year, when he wrote an affidavit claiming that he saw Phosa and his associate Nick Elliot fabricating the spy report.
The report alleges that Mabuza spied on ANC leaders, including President Jacob Zuma and Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga. Since his affidavit, Venter has flip-flopped between supporting Phosa and Mabuza.
Phosa is a former premier of Mpumalanga (1994 to 1999). Mabuza served as his education MEC back then.
They had a fallout in 2008 after Phosa backed Lassy Chiwayo to be the ANC provincial chairperson.
Mabuza won that position and has since been the ANC boss in the province.
– Sizwe sama Yende