Boxing SA enters new era of leadership
Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula has ushered in a new era for local boxing with the announcement of three key appointments plus an R11 million windfall for Boxing SA (BSA) on Friday.
Mr Razzmatazz filled the position of CEO with Tsholofelo Lejaka, and announced Thabang Moses as chief financial officer and Sabelo Silinga as director of operations.
He said the beleaguered boxing governing body would receive an R11 million financial injection to assist with administration costs.
The three positions have been vacant for some time, causing BSA to limp from one crisis to another.
An ecstatic Mbalula said the new appointments augured well for the boxing body.
“A lot has been done and the wheels are turning in the right direction,” said the enthusiastic minister.
On Lejaka’s appointment, he said: “I can vouch with my cows at home, I am giving you the best.”
Lejaka, who previously held the position of chief director at the sports department, believes his sound knowledge of administration will come in handy to ensure the BSA runs smoothly.
He said the other big focus, with the support of the board, would be to put the interest of the boxers first. “We need to ensure that fighters occupy centre stage and are well looked after. This will obviously occur with the cooperation of the promoters,” Lejaka said. On BSA, Lejaka had this to say: “I’m aware that I’ve inherited an entity that experienced huge challenges before. I would like to turn things around. “One of my priorities is to ensure that the issues of the association’s finances are completely stabilised.” The 40-year-old Lejaka was born in Thaba Nchu, Free State and educated in Mafikeng, North West.
The much-awaited naming of the CEO had been the subject of much speculation.
Lejaka’s naming as the man to chart the way forward for the administration of professional boxing should come as a breath of fresh air for the position that had previously been bedevilled by controversy.
This after the resignation last year of former CEO Loyiso Mtya, who threw in the towel after being suspended by BSA following an investigation relating to abuse of power.
He had succeeded another controversial figure, Moffat Qithi, who was put aside in 2013 and sacked last year for, among other things, not declaring that he had a criminal record.
ORDER Tsholofelo Lejaka, the new CEO of Boxing SA, says he wants to turn the association around
POSITIVE Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula announced the appointment of new BSA officials as well as an R11m cash injection