Clever Boys move to sec­ond spot

CityPress - - Sport - TIMOTHY MOLOBI at Bid­vest Sta­dium tim­o­thty@city­

It was a bad night for Free State teams as Bloem­fontein Celtic and Free State Stars lost their league en­coun­ters.

Bid­vest Wits moved to the sec­ond spot on the ta­ble af­ter eas­ily beat­ing Stars 3-1 while Celtic lost 3-0 at home to Ajax Cape Town.

Phaka­mani Mahlambi marked his re­turn to the Wits lineup with a brace to rein­tro­duce him­self to South African foot­ball lovers. The pacey winger, who was out of ac­tion for about nine months, won a penalty and scored from the spot in the 35th minute. He was again on the score sheet in the 60th minute af­ter he eas­ily slot­ted home from close range.

As soon as the Clever Boys took the lead as early as the 13th minute through Gabad­inho Mhango it was clear they were on course to their first vic­tory in four matches.

Al­though Stars pulled one be­fore the break through Thokozani Sekot­long, they did not of­fer much re­sis­tance.

They even missed a late penalty when Dar­ren Keet saved a Moeketsi Sekola spot kick.

Stars also fin­ished the game with 10 men af­ter cap­tain Ker­spuy An­gelo was sent off af­ter re­ceiv­ing two yel­low cards.

Chippa United bounced back to their win­ning ways in the Absa Premier­ship af­ter de­feat­ing High­lands Park 2-0 at the Sisa Dukashe Sta­dium in Mdantsane yes­ter­day.

Goals from Katlego Mashego and Ler­ato Manzini sealed it for the hosts.

Chippa United were un­lucky not to hit the front in the fifth minute of the game. Tham­sanqa Sang­weni saw his free kick at­tempt can­non off the out­side of the post, with Ta­puwa Kap­ini beaten.

The Chilli Boys bossed the early ex­changes.

How­ever, they were al­most caught on the break with 19 min­utes on the clock.

Edwin Si­tay­i­tayi, though, slipped at a vi­tal mo­ment with the goal at his mercy.

The hosts grabbed the lead six min­utes later, with for­mer Mamelodi Sun­downs for­ward Mashego guid­ing a de­flected left-footed free kick past Kap­ini. The Lions of the North skip­per was help­less as the ball found the back of the net.

Mashego al­most dou­bled their lead from an­other set piece on the half-hour mark, but Kap­ini was up to the task this time around.

The Zim­babwe national made an out­stand­ing save as Chippa held a slen­der 1-0 lead at the break.

Gor­don Ige­sund in­tro­duced Charl­ton Mashumba af­ter the in­ter­val, with High­lands hav­ing failed to pro­duce a sin­gle shot on tar­get.

Mothobi Mvala’s spec­u­la­tive ef­fort al­most beat Daniel Akpeyi in the 56th minute, but the Nige­rian re­cov­ered.

Chippa, though, would be the next to score as Manzini made it 2-0 in the 74th minute of the clash.

The flow­ing move was sparked by Paseka Mako, who played a quick onetwo with Mashego be­fore set­ting up his team-mate for an easy fin­ish.

The de­feat sees High­lands re­main in 14th spot on the log standings, with the Tem­bisa-based club in danger of end­ing the year in the rel­e­ga­tion zone.

Mean­while, at Royal Bafo­keng Sta­dium, Plat­inum Stars and Mar­itzburg United played to a goal­less draw.

– Back­pageTXT

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.