Gad­get catches fire on flight

CityPress - - News -

The con­ve­nience of tech­nol­ogy comes at a price. This week, an air­line pas­sen­ger was se­ri­ously in­jured after her bat­tery-op­er­ated head­phones ex­ploded dur­ing a flight and caught fire.

Aus­tralian au­thor­i­ties have launched an in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the in­ci­dent. They be­lieve the bat­ter­ies in the head­phones ex­ploded and caught fire about two hours into the flight from Bei­jing to Mel­bourne as she slept.

The uniden­ti­fied woman’s face and hands were left black­ened and blis­tered, and her hair scorched.

She said she heard a loud ex­plo­sion, felt a burn­ing sen­sa­tion on her face and threw the head­phones on to the floor as they sparked.

Flight at­ten­dants came quickly with a bucket of wa­ter.

The bat­tery and cover had melted and stuck to the floor of the air­craft. For the rest of the flight, pas­sen­gers had to put up with the pun­gent smell of melted plas­tic, burnt elec­tron­ics and burnt hair.

The man­u­fac­turer of the head­phones was not re­vealed. Aus­tralia’s na­tional trans­port safety in­ves­ti­ga­tor said the in­ci­dent high­lighted the grow­ing con­cerns about bat­tery-op­er­ated de­vices and safety risks on flights.

And, on a larger scale, Sam­sung’s Galaxy Note 7 smart­phone had to be dis­con­tin­ued after prob­lems with the in­ter­nal bat­tery caused some hand­sets to ig­nite.

How­ever, this is not a fea­ture unique to Sam­sung, as many other electronic gad­gets use the same bat­tery tech­nol­ogy. Last year, hov­er­boards were the must-have Christ­mas toy – un­til they started ex­plod­ing for the very same rea­son.

– Mir­ror

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.