Man in court for rugby as­sault

Diamond Fields Advertiser - - NEWS - MUR­RAY SWART STAFF RE­PORTER

A MEM­BER of the SAPS was hos­pi­talised while the man­ager of a lo­cal busi­ness has been charged with at­tempted mur­der fol­low­ing an al­ter­ca­tion in a hospi­tal­ity suite at Tafel Lager Park on Satur­day af­ter­noon.

The ac­cused, Mar­cel van Vu­uren, 32, made a brief ap­pear­ance in the Kimberley Mag­is­trate’s Court yes­ter­day, when he was re­leased on bail of R1 000, fol­low­ing an in­ci­dent that left a 35-year-old po­lice pi­lot, Marc En­gel­brecht, who was off-duty at the time, in the high care unit of Medi­clinic Gariep with ex­ten­sive in­juries to his head and face.

While En­gel­brecht has no rec­ol­lec­tion of the al­ter­ca­tion, which took place in the Bid­vest Wal­tons suite fol­low­ing Gri­quas’ Cur­rie Cup loss to the Blue Bulls on the week­end, Van Vu­uren, a re­gional man­ager for the sta­tionery sup­pli­ers, is due to re­turn to court next month af­ter hand­ing him­self over to po­lice on Sunday.

“I re­ally don’t know what hap­pened,” said En­gel­brecht in an ex­clu­sive in­ter­view yes­ter­day af­ter­noon. “One minute I was at the rugby and the next thing I knew I was wak­ing up in hos­pi­tal. I don’t know the per­son who did this to me.”

While X-rays had been taken, at the time of go­ing to press yes­ter­day, En­gel­brecht, whose face is vis­i­bly swollen as a re­sult of what rel­a­tives sus­pect to be a bro­ken nose and jaw, was yet to re­ceive feed­back on the full ex­tent of his in­juries from his doc­tor.

Medi­clinic spokesper­son, Denise Coet­zee, was able to con­firm that he had suf­fered trauma to the head and face.

Mean­while, Van Vu­uren made a brief ap­pear­ance in the Kimberley Mag­is­trate’s Court late yes­ter­day af­ter­noon and he was granted bail of R1 000 with­out op­po­si­tion from the State.

In his af­fi­davit, read into ev­i­dence by his le­gal rep­re­sen­ta­tive, Ri­aan Bode, the mar­ried fa­ther of two re­quested to be re­leased, pend­ing his next ap­pear­ance, as he pointed out that he had no pre­vi­ous or pend­ing cases against him and was un­likely to evade trial for the sched­ule five of­fence.

In the state­ment, Van Vu­uren also in­di­cated that he had been fully co-op­er­a­tive with the po­lice in their in­ves­ti­ga­tion, which is why he had de­cided to hand him­self over to the SAPS on Sunday. In the ab­sence of a crim­i­nal record and hav­ing con­firmed his ad­dress, the State wasn’t op­posed to Van Vu­uren’s re­lease.

The mat­ter was post­poned un­til Oc­to­ber 1 for eye­wit­ness statements and for a J88, list­ing the full na­ture and ex­tent of En­gel­brecht’s in­juries, to be com­pleted.

BAIL: So­raya Crowie

Mar­cel van Vu­uren (above) was granted R1 000 bail in the Kimberley Mag­is­trate’s Court yes­ter­day af­ter he was charged for the at­tempted mur­der of an off­duty po­lice pi­lot, Marc En­gel­brecht (left). Pic­tures:

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.