SA Post Office mail delivery fails again
‘Apparently the vehicles the Post Office had for deliveries, have been withdrawn.
‘This is very unfair that we have to suffer as a result of their internal issues,’ he said.
The South African Post Office (SAPO) national spokesperson, Johan Kruger, told the Eyethu Bay Watch in a telephonic interview that there was indeed a shortage of vehicles in KZN, but said the issue would soon be resolved as a new contractor had been employed.
Kruger suggested that a formal email be drafted and sent to his department so he could investigate and respond to the newspaper’s queries in a proper manner.
An email was sent to Kruger on Thursday and he telephonically confirmed receipt.
However, on Friday the Eyethu Bay Watch prompted a response from Kruger as well as his colleagues at SAPO head office but to no avail.
A response from regional SAPO spokesperson, Nobuhle Njapha, was received late on Friday afternoon but made no reference to the shortage of vehicles:
‘The SA Post Office experienced a postal strike from 3 to 18 July 2018.
‘Since then postal employees were all at work but the backlog resulting from the strike has not yet been worked off.
‘We expect to deliver the items caught in the backlog within the next ten workdays.
‘It should be noted that we have very high volumes of international mail and in that area the backlog is longer.
‘This is obviously a national problem and we are working tirelessly to ensure that we deliver mail to our customers.
‘The Post Office understands very well that this is causing considerable inconvenience to its customers and apologises for that,’ the statement read.