CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE
A fresh spin on a relaxed, farm-chic wedding theme
A renewed focus on organic wellbeing has inspired many trends, and weddings are no exception. Here’s how to create a relaxed, farm-fresh celebration without compromising elegance and charm.
1. From left: One-shoulder Lindi dress (R950) MarethColleen. Casey halterneck gown with open back, leather straps and detachable mesh train (R18 800) Janita Toerien. Wreath with foliage and peony buds (R850) Fleur le Cordeur. Cream slim-fit suit with white shirt and pink pocket hanky (POR) Moi Styling. Oversized boutonnière with foliage, peony buds and green berries (R350) Fleur le Cordeur. Blush pink mesh dress with lace belt (R2 900) Alana van Heerden. 2. Vanilla buttercream cake with seasonal berries (from R850) Edible Art Cakes. 3. Pastel stationery set with spring vegetation theme (from R6 000, depending on quantities) White Kite Studio. 4. Wrist corsage (R80) Fleur le Cordeur, small bowl (R108) Mervyn Gers Ceramics. 5. Veronique golden leaf bridal crown with pearls and crystals (R950) Kathleen Barry.
6. Blue tea-length tulle dress with beaded lace detail (R4 500) Alana van Heerden, golden leaf bridal wreath (R650) Kathleen Barry, Veronica bustier-style dress with ombré silk chiffon (R6 500) Janita Toerien. 7. Cinnamon suit with vintage denim bow tie (POR) Moi Styling, bouquet with foliage, pink hydrangeas, tulips, rose hips, radishes, parsnips and hyacinths (R1 500) Fleur le Cordeur. 8. Platform lace heels (R1 200) Anella Wedding Shoes. 9. Layered naked cake adorned with berries (from R1 950) Edible Art Cakes.
For the daring and quirky groom, choose a cinnamon-coloured suit and vintage denim bow tie.
‘For your wedding day, try to steer clear of high fashion and opt for a classic and timeless look,’ says makeup artist Sebastine Pepler. ‘Make sure that your hairstyle suits the shape of your face, and if you choose a downstyle consisting of loose curls, try to create a lot of volume – and remember to take precautions for bad weather!’
SILVER GREY TULLE BALLGOWN (R15 000) ELBETH GILLIS. EMMA JEWELLED BELT (R399) FOREVER NEW
For this modern bohemian look, designer Janita Toerien kept the silhouette and front of the dress effortlessly plain. ‘This allowed us to create a detailed back with exotic criss-cross bronze nappa leather straps from which a long, drapy mesh train flows,’ she says. ‘It’s a great alternative to the conventional train or veil as it won’t interfere with the beautiful floral headpiece that perfectly complements this look. Ideal for the bride looking to get married barefoot in the forest!’
CASEY HALTERNECK WEDDING DRESS WITH DETACHABLE MESH TRAIN (R18 800) JANITA TOERIEN, FLORAL WREATH (R850) FLEUR LE CORDEUR
10. Floral design invite (from R20 each) and order of service (from R10 each) White Kite Studio. Rings and bangles (R100–R160) Matter of Fakt, rings (R220–R850) and bangles (from R300) Milame Design. 11. Bouquet with dried seed pods, pink hyacinths, pink garden roses, yellow tulips, peonies, black berries, green foliage and white king protea (R1 200) Fleur le Cordeur. 12. Glitter ballet pumps (R499) Anella Wedding Shoes. 13. Veronica bustier-style dress with ombré silk chiffon (R6 500) Janita Toerien. Metallic ballet pumps (R499) Anella Wedding Shoes. Wrist corsage (R80) Fleur le Cordeur. 14. Square wooden high table (R350 to hire), ornate linen chairs (R850 each to hire), faux fur throw (R110 to hire), cake table (R95 to hire) and scatter cushions (R65–R85 each to hire) APlace. Cascading arrangement with pink hyacinths, pink garden roses, yellow tulips, peonies, black berries, green foliage, radishes and parsnips (POR) Fleur le Cordeur.
15. Natural wood elements, pastel ceramics and oversized trailing floral arrangements complete with veggie detail all contribute to the farm-style look. 16. One-shoulder Lindi dress (R950) MarethColleen, golden leaf bridal wreath (R650) Kathleen Barry. 17. Glasses: stylist’s own. 18. Quirky accessories add an element of fun and give the groom the chance to express his personality. Add a textured denim bow tie and brightly coloured hanky to any suit colour to do just that. Groom’s attire (POR) Moi Styling.
Looking for a special, one-of-a-kind gown that really makes a statement? ‘This Chantilly lace masterpiece is the ultimate in sensual femininity – resplendent in cascading appliqué, laser-cut flower detail, sparkling Swarovski elements and a plunging back,’ says designer Kobus Dippenaar.
Eschew tradition by dressing your bridal party in off-white hues. Depending on the setting of your wedding, choose long, flowing gowns for classical and slightly more formal appeal and keep the groom’s style neutral and simple to complement the bride.
FROM LEFT BODICE (PART OF A DRESS) (R18 000) ROBYN ROBERTS, TULLE SKIRT (R5 500) ELBETH GILLIS, GOLDEN LEAF BRIDAL WREATH (R650) KATHLEEN BARRY. COUTURE GOWN (R138 000) KOBUS DIPPENAAR ATELIER. SUIT AND TIE (POR) MOI STYLING. ISABELLA DRESS (R15 998) ANNA GEORGINA 2015 COLLECTION, VERONIQUE GOLDEN LEAF BRIDAL CROWN WITH PEARLS AND CRYSTALS (R950) KATHLEEN BARRY
19. Lace platforms, dyed purple (R1499) Anella Wedding Shoes. 20. Boutonnière with green foliage, peony buds and green berries (R350) Fleur le Cordeur. Groom’s suit (POR) Moi Styling. 21. Blush pink mesh dress with lace belt (R2 900) Alana van Heerden. Bangles (R100–R160) Matter of Fakt. 22. Pink hyacinth, cymbidium orchid and mini carrot wrist corsage (R80) Fleur le Cordeur. 23. Assorted raw stone rings (R370–R700) Matter of Fakt, rings (R220–R360) Milame Design, handmade small bowls (R108) and medium bowls (R160) Mervyn Gers Ceramics. 24. Bridal veil (R1 400) Robyn Roberts.
5 ‘A miniature green wreath makes for an interesting alternative to a traditional flower bouquet,’ says Heike.
‘For a touch of rustic flair, add some spring-fresh vegetation in pastel tones to complement your floral arrangements,’ says florist Heike le Cordeur.
6 There’s no reason to stick to just one look for your bridesmaids: mix styles and colours to suit their figures and skin tones.
COUTURE GOWN (R138 000) KOBUS DIPPENAAR ATELIER, BIRDCAGE VEIL (R800) ROBYN ROBERTS, ORNATE LINEN CHAIR (R850 TO HIRE) APLACE, CLASSIC BOUQUET (R1 200) FLEUR LE CORDEUR
For timeless wedding pictures, swap bold-coloured shoes or an oversized boutonnière for ‘safer’ options during the day. 22