Baked lemon and coconut tart
Serves 8-10 Prep time and baking: 50 minutes (+cooling and refrigeration) This tart can be made a day ahead. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. • 200g rice cookies (see Test Kitchen tips)
• ½ cup (40g) desiccated coconut
• 1 egg white • 4 eggs
• ½ cup (110g) raw castor sugar
(or coconut sugar)
• ½ cup (125ml) lemon juice
• 2/3 cup (160ml) light thickened cream
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced).
2. Process cookies until finely crushed. Add coconut and egg white; process until combined. Press biscuit mixture firmly over the base and up the side of a greased 24cm (2.8cm deep) round loose-based flan tin. Place on an oven tray and freeze for 10 minutes while preparing the filling.
3. Lightly whisk the eggs and sugar in a medium bowl until combined. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until combined. Pour the filling into the flan tin.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the filling is just set and slightly wobbly in the centre. Leave to cool, then refrigerate until cold. Serve cold.
Not suitable for freezing or microwaving.
Test Kitchen tips: *We used Arnott’s rice cookies in this recipe. *You can use this base as a substitute for biscuit bases in cheesecakes and other sweet baked tarts.