Smoked ocean trout ricotta quiche
Serves 6 Prep time and baking: 1 hr 20 min (+refrigeration and cooling)
• 1½ cup (150g) gluten-free plain flour
• 1/3 cup (35g) quinoa flour
• 125g butter, chopped
• 2/3 cup (120g) sour cream
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup (250ml) milk
• 1 tbsp dill sprigs
• 150g fresh ricotta cheese
• 100g smoked ocean trout or salmon
• 2 green onions (green shallots), chopped
• 2 teaspoons drained baby capers
• 250g oven-roasted truss tomatoes, baby spinach leaves and extra dill sprigs, to serve
1. In a processor, blend together flours, butter and salt (to taste) . Add sour cream and pulse until the mixture just comes together. Turn onto a board, shape into a flat rectangular disc and wrap in clingfilm. Freeze for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Roll pastry between two sheets of baking paper until large enough to line a 20x30 cm loose-based flan tin. Remove paper, ease pastry into the tin and trim. Place the tin on an oven tray, line pastry with baking paper, fill with rice and bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove paper and rice, bake a further 10 minutes or until browned lightly. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
3. Lightly beat the eggs and milk in a bowl; season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Sprinkle dill onto the pastry case. Place small spoonfuls of ricotta and pieces of trout on the casing and sprinkle with onion and capers. Pour egg mixture slowly into case. Place tomatoes on a separate small tray.
5 Bake the quiche and tomatoes for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes are just softened. Remove tomatoes and bake the quiche for a further 20 minutes or until just set in centre.
6. Serve the quiche sprinkled with baby spinach leaves and extra dill, if desired, with the tomatoes on the side.
Pastry suitable for freezing. Not suitable for microwaving.
SMOKED OCEAN TROUT RICOTTA QUICHE For a sweet version of this pastry, add ¼ cup (40g) pure icing sugar to the flour and seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean. Test Kitchen tips: