ROASTED AUBERGINE WITH RED AND YELLOW PEPPER RELISH
• 3 large aubergines • 1 cup marinating oil (opposite ) • salt • freshly ground black pepper • 4 tbsp oil • 1 red onion, sliced • 2 cloves garlic • 2 red chillies, deseeded • 2 red peppers, sliced • 2 yellow peppers, sliced • 3 tbsp tomato paste • 1 tbsp maple syrup • 12 cups water
1. Cut the aubergines into 3-cm chunks and marinate well with the marinating oil in a large mixing bowl. Place on a baking tray with baking paper spread on it, evenly spreading the aubergines out so there’s space between each chunk. Season with salt and pepper, and roast for 30-40 minutes at 200°C.
2. In a large saucepan or mediumsize pot, heat the oil, add the onion, garlic and chilli, and sauté for about 3 minutes until the garlic smells sweet.
3. Add the sliced peppers and mix well. After 2 minutes add the tomato paste, maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Sauté for a further 2 minutes. Add the water and cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
4. Once the peppers have softened and a rich tomato base sauce has started to come together, add the aubergine chunks into the pot and mix well, making sure the two parts have merged. Continue cooking for about a minute, then serve.