E-tolls are here to stay, says min­is­ter

Finweek English Edition - - THE WEEK -

The “user-pay” prin­ci­ple, with ref­er­ence to tolling in Gaut­eng, needs to be im­ple­mented, ac­cord­ing to trans­port min­is­ter Dipuo Peters. She said the 201km Gaut­eng Free­way Project was al­ready con­gested and Gaut­eng, the eco­nomic hub of South Africa, there­fore will re­quire more new roads. “We need good-qual­ity roads, other­wise peo­ple will say they have to drive on what’s left of the road and not on the left of the road,” she said. Ac­cord­ing to Peters, 86% of the South African Na­tional Road Agency Lim­ited (San­ral) bud­get comes from the fis­cus, while the other 14% is the toll com­po­nent of the bud­get. This was not sus­tain­able, she said. “[T]he is­sue of roads in­fra­struc­ture through ‘user-pay’ prin­ci­ples and other means, like tolling, need to take place.” 10/05/2016 17:13

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.