Dean Andrew Hunter
began to be seen. For instance, 100ha of land, originally donated to the diocese as part of the missionary settlement of St John’s, Bholothwa in 1881, was transferred to local beneficiaries in January 2006. The preparation and training of the beneficiaries was carried out under the DSR Land Justice Programme working in conjunction with the Department of Land Affairs and the Government’s Land Reform Programme. On 18 January 2006 the 24 beneficiaries signed the agreed Constitution in the presence of Mr Ruiters, the regional head of the Department of Land Affairs.
On 13 November 2008 the Diocese of Grahamstown handed back to the community at Nxarhuni 240 hectares of prime riverside land which was part of a gift to the Anglican Church in the 1850s.
A member of the community told those present of how the land had originally been given to the Diocese by the local chief in 1854 - and not by Sir George Grey - in order to prevent the land from being lost to white farmers and the colonial government. The 45 local people receiving the land had been trained in farming by the Department of Agriculture. Envisioned