• The Van der Merwes started with knocking down the wall between the lounge and bar – it took them three days as the walls were very thick!
• They removed the old built-in gas fireplace.
• The knotty pine ceilings were removed to expose the trusses then they fitted new ceiling boards. “We sold the knotty pine for R500 and the gas fireplace for R2 500,” says Suzi.
• The wall-to-wall carpets were replaced with pine floorboards that were whitewashed with diluted paint and finished with a clear varnish.
• Stephan built a wall unit for the TV, books and knick-knacks.
• To finish the look, the walls were painted grey and the roof trusses and window frames white.