LOUISA AND ANTHONY’S TOP 5 RENOVATION TIPS
1. Familiarise yourself with your space before you begin planning your renovation. Spending time in it is the only way to work out which changes will be the most practical to make.
2. Consider your lifestyle. In this house, entertaining was key, but the weather often makes sitting near the pool unpleasant, so the courtyard allows for outdoor living in all weather conditions.
3. Choose durable finishes and fixtures. A home that looks good for years is people-proof.
4. Don’t be afraid of using white. It is amazingly practical because it’s easy to clean – white linen, curtains and upholstery can be bleached, and floors scrubbed. A white base gives a lovely fresh, airy feel that instantly updates a space.
5. Try something bold. Striking details give a home personality.
THIS PAGE, CLOCKWISE FROM TOP
LEFT THE ORIGINAL DEEP BLUE TILES IN THE MAIN BATHROOM WERE LEFT UNTOUCHED; CRISP WHITE LINEN CONTRASTS WITH THE NATURAL TEXTURES OF A WOODEN SHELF AND JUTE RUG IN THE GUEST ROOM. THE PHOTOGRAPHS ARE BY SALLY CHANCE; KLEYNHANS GAVE THIS UNUSED AREA AN OVERHAUL BY BUILDING A READING NOOK. THE SEAT IS UPHOLSTERED IN PATIO LEAF FABRIC IN GARDEN GREEN FROM THE PATIO COLLECTION BY MAVROMAC & GATEHOUSE (MAVROMACANDTHEGATEHOUSE.CO.ZA).