Rape case moved to George
The case of four suspects who allegedly raped a 15-year-old girl in White Location earlier this year was yet again postponed this week.
The boys were all minors when they were arrested on February 10, after allegedly luring the girl into a house and repeatedly raping her, but one of the boys has since turned 18.
They appeared briefly in the Knysna Regional Court on Tuesday 3 October, when magistrate Eugenie Jacobs requested that the matter be transferred to the Thembalethu Magistrate’s Court in George, for hearing on 19 February 2018, as the Knysna court roll is backed up. Legal Aid lawyer Bernice Scheel and state prosecutor Chamelle Bastian agreed. The boys remain in custody.
Members of the ANC Women’s League were outside the court once again with placards and chanting struggle songs, to show their unwavering support for the girl and her family.
ANCWL regional coordinator Titi Gombo said, “We thought by now the case would be over and done with… We’re disappointed that it is postponed once again.The justice system is really failing us, more especially the victim. When is she going to heal with an ongoing court case? Or maybe they are waiting for the remaining two boys to turn 18, because two of them are turning 18 before the year ends.”
Gombo said the Women’s League will mobilise women to go to the Thembalethu Magistrate Court next year.
ANC Women’s League members outside the Knysna Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday 3 October, before proceedings against four suspects accused of rape.