‘R30 000 dis­count for Mo­lo­si’s he­ad’

Knysna-Plett Herald - - News - N­wa­bi­sa Pon­do­yi

The ca­se a­gainst for­mer Knys­na Ward 4 coun­cil­lor Ve­li­le Waxa, Knys­na mu­ni­ci­pal of­fi­ci­al Ma­wan­de Mak­ha­la and Ca­pe To­wn’s Ve­la Pa­trick Du­mi­le has been de­fer­red for a ru­ling in their bail ap­pli­ca­ti­ons la­ter t­his month.

The three men ap­pea­red in the Knys­na Ma­gi­stra­te’s Court on Tu­es­day 30 Oc­to­ber on char­ges of the pre­me­di­ta­ted mur­der of ANC Ward 8 coun­cil­lor Vic­tor Mo­lo­si in Ju­ly, and ha­ve been in cus­to­dy sin­ce their ar­rest.

In the s­ta­te’s re­spon­se to the bail ap­pli­ca­ti­ons of mur­der accu­sed Du­mi­le and Mak­ha­la on 24 Oc­to­ber, s­ta­te pro­se­cu­tor Van­da­na P­re­m­chand cal­led the in­ves­ti­ga­ting of­fi­cer in the ca­se, de­tecti­ve Ser­ge­ant Bar­nard Wil­son, to ta­ke the stand.

Un­der o­ath, Wil­son said their or­ga­ni­sed c­ri­me u­nit re­cei­ved the re­le­vant doc­ket on 24 Ju­ly and in­ter­vie­wed se­ver­al wit­nes­ses. One, he said, be­ca­me a s­ta­te wit­ness who in­for­med the u­nit how the “w­ho­le thing” un­fol­ded, and w­hat fol­lows be­low is Wil­son’s ac­count in court of w­hat the wit­ness al­le­ge­d­ly told him.

‘Waxa as­ked me to do a job’

On 15 Ju­ne, the s­ta­te wit­ness al­le­ge­d­ly re­cei­ved a call from Mak­ha­la who in­for­med him that he needs so­meo­ne to “do a job”. W­hen he as­ked w­hat kind of job, Mak­ha­la al­le­ge­d­ly told the wit­ness that so­meo­ne from the Knys­na coun­cil must be kil­led and he (Mak­ha­la) was as­ked by a­not­her coun­cil­lor to find so­meo­ne to do the job.

At the end of Ju­ne, the s­ta­te wit­ness al­le­ged, he pic­ked up Mak­ha­la in Knys­na to go to Ca­pe To­wn w­he­re de­tails of the job we­re dis­cus­sed. T­his is w­hen Mak­ha­la al­le­ge­d­ly told the wit­ness that it was (fel­low accu­sed) ANC Ward 4 coun­cil­lor Ve­li­le Waxa who as­ked him to do the job, but the wit­ness said he did not ta­ke it se­ri­ous­ly and t­hey re­tur­ned to Knys­na. La­ter, he al­le­ge­d­ly told Wil­son, he re­cei­ved a­not­her call from Mak­ha­la, who han­ded the pho­ne o­ver to Waxa and af­ter i­den­ti­fying him­self, Waxa ap­pa­rent­ly ex­plai­ned that he nee­ded a hit­man.

Fee­ling un­der pres­su­re to help find such a per­son, he re­tur­ned to Ca­pe To­wn and con­tacted Du­mi­le to do the job, be­fo­re cal­ling Mak­ha­la to in­form him ac­cor­dingly, the s­ta­te wit­ness al­le­ged.

‘Shoc­ked by sig­ht of re­vol­ver’

On 18 Ju­ly, the wit­ness al­le­ge­d­ly said, he re­cei­ved a call from Waxa as­king w­hen he plan­ned on “brin­ging the guy do­wn”. He al­le­ge­d­ly in­for­med Waxa that he did not ha­ve pe­trol mo­ney to co­me to Knys­na. Af­ter Waxa sent R1 000 through C­hec­kers’ Mo­ney Mar­ket, the wit­ness al­le­ged, he and Du­mi­le dro­ve to Knys­na on 22 Ju­ly.

W­hen t­hey we­re on their way, he al­le­ge­d­ly told Wil­son, he was shoc­ked w­hen Du­mi­le took out a re­vol­ver wrap­ped in plas­tic, and he as­ked Du­mi­le to throw it out be­cau­se of a ro­ad­block up a­he­ad. But t­hey stop­ped the car, left the we­a­pon on the si­de of the ro­ad and re­tur­ned a w­hi­le la­ter to pick it up, the wit­ness al­le­ge­d­ly said.

On­ce in Knys­na, t­hey al­le­ge­d­ly wai­ted for Waxa at his of­fi­ce in Whi­te Lo­ca­ti­on (kno­wn as The Con­tai­ner). Ar­ri­ving in his Toyo­ta Corol­la, the wit­ness al­le­ged, Waxa in­for­med Du­mi­le in his pre­sen­ce a­bout “the guy that is com­pe­ting” with him in po­li­ti­cs and must be kil­led.

Du­mi­le said he would do the job for R80 000, the wit­ness al­le­ged, but Waxa said it was too much and as­ked for a dis­count, Wil­son told the court. Ap­pa­rent­ly, Du­mi­le then agreed to do it for R50 000 but he wan­ted a de­po­sit. W­hen Waxa ap­pa­rent­ly said he on­ly had R10 000, Du­mi­le went out­si­de to ma­ke a call and w­hen he re­tur­ned he told Waxa that the “guy on the pho­ne” said Waxa must add R5 000 and t­hey agreed on a R15 000 de­po­sit, the wit­ness al­le­ge­d­ly told Wil­son.

The day be­fo­re the mur­der

The wit­ness, Mak­ha­la sho­wed Du­mi­le then al­le­ge­d­ly went to the Pop Inn ta­vern, w­he­re Mak­ha­la sho­wed Mo­lo­si’s ho­me (which is within wal­king dis­tan­ce from the ta­vern) to Du­mi­le. At a­round 19:00 on the sa­me day (22 Ju­ly), Du­mi­le al­le­ge­d­ly went to the Mo­lo­si re­si­den­ce, knoc­ked on the door and as­ked for “the coun­cil­lor”. The wit­ness al­le­ge­d­ly told Wil­son that the pe­op­le in the hou­se we­re sur­pri­sed be­cau­se no­bo­dy cal­led Mo­lo­si “the coun­cil­lor” but cal­led him by his nick­na­me F­ree­ze.

W­hen Du­mi­le was told that Mo­lo­si was not ho­me, he left, the wit­ness al­le­ged.

The next day, 23 Ju­ly, the wit­ness al­le­ge­d­ly said, he re­cei­ved a call from Waxa saying he could col­lect the de­po­sit. The wit­ness, Mak­ha­la and Du­mi­le al­le­ge­d­ly re­tur­ned to the ta­vern w­he­re he no­ti­ced a ner­vous Du­mi­le fre­quen­ting the bathroom, he al­le­ge­d­ly told Wil­son. W­hi­le sit­ting the­re, the wit­ness al­le­ge­d­ly said, Du­mi­le kept di­sap­pea­ring and w­hen he ca­me back one ti­me he in­for­med the wit­ness that he had been to Mo­lo­si’s hou­se but didn’t see his car.

The nig­ht of the mur­der

At 19:40, Du­mi­le went back to Mo­lo­si’s hou­se, knoc­ked on the door, as­ked for “the coun­cil­lor”, was told Mo­lo­si was at a meet­ing and left, the wit­ness al­le­ge­d­ly said. Be­fo­re the shoot­ing, a­not­her wit­ness al­le­ge­d­ly spot­ted Du­mi­le in the bus­hes ne­ar Mo­lo­si’s hou­se re­cei­ving a call, and he then wal­ked to­wards Mo­lo­si’s hou­se, Wil­son told the court.

Af­ter he­a­ring guns­hots, the pe­op­le who we­re at the Mo­lo­si re­si­den­ce went out­si­de to see who was shot, and found him lying op­po­si­te their ho­me, Wil­son told the court. The de­ce­a­sed was rus­hed to hos­pi­tal with a bul­let wound to his chest and one on top of his he­ad, Wil­son tes­ti­fied. He was de­cla­red de­ad.

Ac­cor­ding to wit­nes­ses, Wil­son said, the­re we­re three guns­hots. One shell ca­se was found in Mo­lo­si’s bo­dy and the ot­her two we­re found on the sce­ne, he said, ad­ding that fo­ren­sic tes­ts con­fir­med t­hey ca­me from the sa­me fi­re­arm, a re­vol­ver.

A­not­her wit­ness in the a­rea al­le­ge­d­ly told Wil­son he saw Du­mi­le wal­king fast af­ter the three guns­hots.


Du­ring Wil­son’s cross-ex­a­mi­na­ti­on by Mak­ha­la’s Le­gal Aid la­wy­er E­le­a­no­re Hill, the in­ves­ti­ga­ting of­fi­cer con­fir­med that Mak­ha­la is in the em­ploy of the mu­ni­ci­pa­li­ty and said he was shoc­ked to le­arn that he “can’t e­ven wri­te, which ma­de me won­der how he was hi­red as a se­ni­or clerk, and I was told he is one of the two pe­op­le who we­re or­ga­ni­sed jobs by Waxa”. Du­ring Waxa’s at­tor­ney Daan Derck­sen’s cross-ex­a­mi­na­ti­on of Wil­son, Waxa wro­te a no­te which his la­wy­er re­ad out in court: “I de­ny ap­poin­ting two pe­op­le, I can­not do that as a coun­cil­lor. Due pro­ces­ses need to be fol­lo­wed cul­mi­na­ting to the mu­ni­ci­pa­li­ty,” the no­te sta­ted.

The ca­se was pos­t­po­ned to 20 No­vem­ber for jud­ge­ment and the accu­sed re­main in cus­to­dy.

Me­an­w­hi­le, the fourth accu­sed Mand­la Tyo­lo­lo has chan­ged coun­sel af­ter his la­wy­er Carl Jep­pe wit­hdrew from the ca­se, and he will now be re­pre­sen­ted by ad­vo­ca­te E­zra Mor­ri­son who will re­ap­ply for bail with new e­vi­den­ce. Tyo­lo­lo’s next ap­pea­ran­ce will be on 15 No­vem­ber.

A­not­her wit­ness in the a­rea al­le­ge­d­ly told Wil­son he saw Du­mi­le wal­king fast af­ter the three guns­hots.

Newspapers in Afrikaans

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.