7-STEP RECOVERY PLAN
Dr Serrallach says recovery from this syndrome would include nutritional and physiological aspects, as well as ensuring that mothers have adequate, ongoing support – both practical and emotional.
If you are feeling depleted, try the following:
● Eat as well as you can, both during and after pregnancy.
● Take a good quality fish oil supplement.
● Increase your intake of good fats and proteins such as bone broth, oily fish, nut butters or avocado.
● Eat plenty of nutrientdense vegetables.
● Limit your intake of processed foods.
● Get some exercise. It doesn’t have to be anything strenuous.
● Try getting more sleep (this is easier said than done if you still have small babies, but try and find a way to ensure you get a little more rest).
● Don’t be afraid to ask for help – whether it’s with the housework, groceries or taking kids to school.
● If you’re feeling overwhelmed and aren’t coping, speak to a professional about your feelings.
The Postnatal Depletion Cure by Dr Oscar Serrallach is available online from takealot.com and at selected Exclusive Books stores.
Go to livingandloving.co.za, click on Birth, then General Articles to read more about the difference between baby blues and postnatal depression.