The Mindy Project creator and star sounds off about Hollywood crushes, offensive TV characters and the album that makes her cry
1. What brings you the greatest joy?
2. What is your pet peeve?
3. What is the best advice you’ve ever been given?
‘Be kind.’ Greg Daniels, my mentor from The Office, told me that.
4. What app can you not live without?
Hopscotch, an awesome coding app for kids that I use.
5. What TV show can’t you miss?
The Walking Dead. I have a big crush on Rick Grimes [played by Andrew Lincoln], the rugged sheriff.
6. What movie had the greatest ending?
Bridget Jones’s Diary.
7. What is on your liquor shelf?
Mike’s Hard Lemonade Frozen.
8. What is your greatest indulgence?
Taking my staff on trips. We went to Vegas last summer.
9. What charities do you support?
Pancan.org, a great organisation that helps people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, as well as their caregivers.
10. Who do you follow on Twitter?
@ders808 (Anders Holm), @sethrogen and @glennhowerton. My favourite account is my best friend BJ Novak’s [fictional] teenage sister Keough’s, @keonovak.
11. Who are your heroes?
My parents – both smart, funny, hardworking people who raised me to believe I could do whatever I wanted.
12. What is your beauty secret?
I still break out, so I use this device called the Tria Clarifying Blue Light.
13. What splurge is well worth it?
I just bought some land in the Hollywood Hills that my dad (an architect) and I are going to develop.
14. What is on your nightstand?
A picture of my mom, a bottle of water, Post-it notes and a pen.
15. What is on your bookshelf?
Haruki Murakami’s What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.
16. What is your favourite food?
Australian red liquorice.
17. What makes you laugh?
I love characters who are somewhat offensive but also deeply sensitive (Kenny Powers from Eastbound & Down, Michael Scott from The Office).
18. What makes you cry?
Paul Simon’s Graceland album.
19. What is on your feet?
Nicholas Kirkwood pumps at night, Adidas Originals x Opening Ceremony sneakers by day.
20. What was your favourite vacation?
New York City last May: hanging with my best friend; doing The Daily Show; meeting President Obama. mc