Getting to know Bella
1. IF I WEREN’T A MODEL, I’D BE: A photographer or a professional equestrian. Down the road, I might try my hand at acting, but I want to be able to fully commit.
2. BEST CAREER ADVICE I’VE RECEIVED: My mom always told me to be humble, work hard, and treat everyone with kindness and respect. I think that always being nice is something that makes you stand out.
3. CHANGE I’D LIKE TO SEE IN MY INDUSTRY: I think the industry overall is shifting towards inclusivity, of different backgrounds and body types, which is a really positive change.
4. WHO I ADMIRE AND WHY: Growing up, my spirit always resonated with Kate Moss, so I guess she inspired me to be myself even if that wasn’t always perfect.
5. BOOK THAT LEFT A LASTING IMPRESSION ON ME: I read it as a kid, but I still remember The Giver [by Lois Lowry] having an impact on me. It reminds you to be an individual, which is such an important message.
6. MY PERFECT DAY WOULD BEGIN: It depends. If I was going to work, I would probably apply a mask and get in some extra skincare time. Actually, I would probably give myself five more minutes of sleep and, I don’t know, make breakfast? The mornings are difficult for me – I’m definitely a rusher in the mornings.
7. MY PERFECT DAY WOULD END: Eating pizza in bed and watching a movie with a friend.
8. SOMETHING NICE I DID FOR MYSELF RECENTLY: I took a trip to Jamaica with some girlfriends. I had just wrapped fashion month, which was one of the craziest seasons I’ve had, and took a few days off to relax in the sun.
9. THE BEAUTY ESSENTIAL YOU’D HAVE TO PRY OUT OF MY COLD, DEAD HANDS: Diorshow Mascara [Bella is a face of Dior Make-up]. It really makes your eyes pop.
10. WHAT EVERY WOMAN SHOULD TRY ONCE IN HER LIFETIME: Living alone. When I moved to NYC, it was the first time I had ever lived by myself, and it’s such a freeing experience. It’s definitely lonely sometimes, but you get to know yourself really well.
11. ON MY BUCKET LIST: That’s a hard one because I just feel so lucky that I’m able to do all of this. Maybe learn to play an instrument.
12. THE THREE QUALITIES THAT GOT ME WHERE I AM TODAY: Kindness, dedication and perseverance. I just like to focus on myself and my career – plus, it takes way too much energy to be mean.
13. MOST AGONISING CAREER DECISION I’VE EVER MADE: Having to retire from professional riding just before the 2016 Olympics because of my chronic Lyme disease. I began riding when I was three and instantly fell in love with it, and selling my horse was the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make.
14. HOW I MADE MY FIRST DOLLAR: Working at a juice shop in Malibu [California].
15. HOW I CLEAR MY MIND AFTER A CRAPPY DAY: Call my mom, take a bubble bath, and go to sleep early. Nothing relaxes me like a good night’s sleep.
Bella with friends and fellow models Kendall Jenner (left and middle), and Winnie Harlow (right).