For the 2017 financial year, SAFCOL achieved the following:
1. IMPROVING LIVELIHOODS AND SOCIO-ECONOMIC STATUS OF ALL SAFCOL STAKEHOLDERS
• Created 4983 direct jobs.
• Trained 1932 people in forestry related and information communication technology (ICT) skills programmes | Awarded
15 general bursaries to students (from National Diploma to PhD’s) and 37 to employees.
• About 20000 people from adjacent communities impacted | Bridged the digital divide in 5 rural schools by donating computers and providing access to wireless internet | Built and upgraded about 23 social infrastructure with high quality timber frame structures (ECD centres, community halls and schools) for 12 communities.
2. SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS
• SAFCOL is self-funded with an unencumbered balance sheet and as such has never needed government funding.
• Achieved 87% performance on financial and commercial sustainability against set targets in the Shareholder Compact.
• SAFCOL commercially manages a total value of R3.86 billion in biological assets.
• SAFCOL processes SABS-graded and certified lumber for use in construction.