Rail upgrade programme
• In 2012, it was announced Transnet would invest R300 billion in infrastructure development to rejuvenate the economy and create jobs.
• Of this amount, R200 billion would be channelled to Transnet Freight Rail to expand its infrastructure and capacity to increase cargo volumes.
• Transnet Freight Rail has committed to railing more than 350.3 million tons of cargo a year by 2018/ 2019.
• Infrastructure projects include a signalling overhaul to enable the running of longer trains at shorter intervals.
• Transnet confirmed plans to develop a third heavy haul rail corridor to serve a new deep- water port at Ngqura near Port Elizabeth.
• Plans, which include a cross- border link feasibility study, are underway to connect Botwsana’s Mmamabula coalfield to the Richards Bay line within seven years.