SABC ‘eight’: trade unions want Hlaudi to pay costs

Saturday Star - - NEWS -

TRADE unions Sol­i­dar­ity and the Broad­cast­ing, Elec­tronic, Me­dia & Al­lied Work­ers Union (Be­mawu) have asked the Labour Court to in­clude for­mer chief op­er­at­ing of­fi­cer Hlaudi Mot­soe­neng as a re­spon­dent in their cost or­der re­lated to their chal­lenge of the sack­ing of eight SABC em­ploy­ees.

The ap­pli­ca­tion that Mot­soe­neng should be added as a re­spon­dent in the two unions’ cost or­der case against the SABC will be heard in the Labour Court in Jo­han­nes­burg on Tues­day, Sol­i­dar­ity said yes­ter­day.

The move comes af­ter the Labour Court’s 2016 rul­ing that the SABC 8 had been dis­missed un­law­fully. They were fired for op­pos­ing Mot­soe­neng’s im­promptu pol­icy that the SABC should not, among other in­struc­tions, show footage of vi­o­lent strikes or community protests.

A court has ruled that Mot­soe­neng can­not oc­cupy any po­si­tion at the SABC un­til he un­der­goes an in­ter­nal dis­ci­plinarye hear­ing as in­structed by the pub­lic pro­tec­tor who found that Mot­soe­neng un­law­fully raised his pay, fired those who dis­agreed with him and lied about a ma­tric cer­tifi­cate. The court also granted, with costs, the ap­pli­ca­tions of Sol­i­dar­ity and Be­mawu, each rep­re­sent­ing four of the SABC mem­bers, that the jour­nal­ists should be re­in­stated.

Sol­i­dar­ity’s An­ton van der Bijl said the trade unions would ar­gue that although Mot­soe­neng did not carry out the in­struc­tion him­self, the de facto de­ci­sion to dis­miss the jour­nal­ists was car­ried out by Si­mon Te­bele on his in­struc­tion. Te­bele has al­ready been added as a re­spon­dent. – ANA

For­mer SABC chief op­er­at­ing of­fi­cer Hlaudi Mot­soe­neng.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.