Oh yes, Dar­ling

Sunday Times - - News Table Talk -

● Dar­ling’s vine­yards, olive groves, golden wheat fields and car­pets of yel­low and pur­ple flow­ers are in­deed dar­ling, but the town is ac­tu­ally named af­ter Charles Henry Dar­ling, who be­came lieu­tenant-gov­er­nor of the Cape Colony in 1851. The town, which served as an SAAF air­field dur­ing World War 2, has a num­ber of re­stored Vic­to­rian houses dat­ing back to the 1850s. It has a voorkamer fes­ti­val, a scare­crow fes­ti­val, an an­nual 24-hour moun­tain-bike race, and a brew­ery, as well as the fa­mous Wild­flower Show, which this Septem­ber marked its 101st year.

The Dar­ling train sta­tion, trans­formed into ‘Evita se Per­ron’.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.