Thou shalt use Zanele!
ANGRY GOSPEL AWARDS TENDER WINNERS TOLD:
‘ We were cheated out of what was rightfully awarded to us ’
ALLEGATIONS have been made that Durban socialite Zanele Mbokazi-nkambule was awarded the rights to host SABC Crown Gospel Awards under questionable circumstances.
The rights were allegedly firstly awarded to Blue Moon and Meropa Communications on 15 August 2007.
However, things changed under mysterious circumstances with Mbokazi-nkambule s sudden involvement and the two
’ companies that had been awarded the deal lodged an official complaint.
According to the documents in our possession, the SABC issued an invitation to bid for the tender on 26 March 2007. Blue Moon and Meropa submitted their joint business tender on May 14 of that year.
The consortium was shortlisted on June 22.
On August 15, they received a confirmation letter from the broadcaster saying that they had won the tender.
Shortly after that the SABC told them to work with Mbokazi-nkambule.
At that time, the leader of the winning consortium, Welcome Msomi, wrote a letter to the SABC demanding to know how Mbokazi-nkambule managed to get involved without submitting a tender.
In a letter to the SABC, Msomi said: This
“is a submission regarding the flouting of the tender process when the SABC had requested companies to pitch for the SABC Gospel Awards. Mer“opa and Blue Moon, after winning the tender, were subsequently told that Zanele Mbokazi [-Nkambule] had been awarded the business, even though she did not participate in the bidding process. We were informed that we had won the “business, subject to certain conditions, on July 26 2007 and you confirmed this in writing to me on August 15 2007,” says Msomi in the letter. He adds: It was therefore sur
“prising to hear from Zanele Mbokazi [-Nkambule] that she had secured the business to manage and execute the SABC Gospel Awards and she announced in the press on November 11 2007 that she was running the SABC Crown Gospel Awards. Ms Mbokazi [-Nkam“bule] went on to say that Dali Mpofu and Mvuzo Mbebe, on behalf of the SABC, had offered her a sponsorship worth more than R3m without
having pitched for the tender.”
Msomi said in his letter that on October 30 2007 the consortium asked for a meeting with the SABC regarding the matter.
He also wrote that the SABC then drew up an agreement for the consortium to accept the terms to work with Mbokazi-nkambule.
Meropa and Blue Moon did not want to accept it.
On January 25 2008, Msomi said, he wrote a letter to the former SABC head of religion Reverend Solly Mabelane declining the offer to work with Mbokazi-nkambule.
“We felt cheated and undermined when Zanele was given the job of running the SABC Gospel Awards without having followed proper procedure as stipulated in the SABC procurement standards.”
He said Mabelane had indicated to him that he ’ d resigned from the broadcaster as he believed the former presenter appointment was clear cor-ruption”. Sunday World has seen the letter from the SABC in which the broadcaster states that the consortium had won the tender.
On Friday, Msomi told Sunday World he “was really disgusted as we were cheated out of what was rightfully awarded to us ”.
Mpofu says he doesn ’ t want “to comment on SABC matters anymore and “I was also not involved in tender process of the SABC ”.
Mbebe SMSED: Pls refer matter to SABC. I can only answer on their instruction.”
firstname.lastname@example.org SMS S1 and your comments to 32467. SMSES are R1 each.
COUP: Zanele Mbokazi-nkambule was allegedly foisted on the consortium that won the Gospel Awards tender.
DISGRUNTLED: Welcome Msomi.