Deadf or­d­view

!

Sunday World - - News - SO­MAYA STOCKENSTROOM

AS PO­LICE foren­sics spe­cial­ists con­tin­ued to comb the scene of Tues­day s bomb blast at Radovan Kre­j­cir’s busi­ness, the South African Rev­enue Ser­vice (SARS) was seiz­ing the al­leged gang boss’s as­sets.

Of­fi­cial pa­pers were served late on Fri­day af­ter­noon as the tax­man seized prop­erty, in­clud­ing his Bed­ford­view house, and shares in sev­eral com­pa­nies reg­is­tered in the name of his wife, Ka­te­rina Kre­j­cirova. Sev­eral of his lux­ury ve­hi­cles were also at­tached, in­clud­ing a Lam­borgh­ini and a Porsche.

Kre­j­cir is one of 16 re­spon­dents to an at­tach­ment or­der that al­lows the court-ap­pointed cu­ra­tor to sell all his as­sets to set­tle a tax debt to SARS.

The amount of the debt is not spec­i­fied in the or­der, but in­formed spec­u­la­tion puts it at be­tween R59mil­lion and over R100-mil­lion.

The Pre­to­ria High Court ap­pointed Sech­aba Trust’s Mur­ray Cloete to man­age the at­tached as­sets. Kre­j­cir has un­til De­cem­ber 2 to say why the or­der should not be made fi­nal.

Kre­j­cir be­lieves the bomb at his Money Point shop in Bed­ford­view in Ekurhu­leni, Gaut­eng, was meant for him. It could be that his life was saved be­cause he was late for a meet­ing at the shop.

His as­so­ciates Jan Char­vat and Ron­nie Smith were killed, and three mem­bers of the busi­ness’s staff are in in­ten­sive care at hos­pi­tal. Only rel­a­tives are al­lowed to visit them; they re said to be in a crit­i­cal con­di­tion.

No ar­rests have been made and we can’t say if Radovan was the tar­get,” said po­lice spokesman Bri­gadier Neville Malila.

Gaut­eng Premier Nomvula Mokonyane s spokesman, Thebe Mo­ha­tle, said Mokonyane had noth­ing to say about the bomb­ing and spate of mur­ders, de­spite fears of the pos­si­bil­ity of a wider mafia-style war erupt­ing in the prov­ince.

Don’t be pulling the premier into things that don’t con­cern us. Call the po­lice and [Min­is­ter of Po­lice] Nathi Mthethwa,” said Mo­ha­tle.

Res­i­dents go­ing about their busi­ness on Fri­day said they didn’t want to hear about Kre­j­cir.

No, we don’t know this man; we don’t know why he is here. We are not in­volved and don’t want to be in­volved, said an el­derly woman be­fore hur­ry­ing along.

An­other res­i­dent, Ash­ley Bezuiden­hout, said she wasn’t par­tic­u­larly wor­ried.

I’m not go­ing to stop my life be­cause of some gang wars.

I’m con­cerned as a res­i­dent, but life goes on. I’ve lived here for many years and I won’t be afraid,” she said.

A petrol at­ten­dant at a nearby ser­vice sta­tion said he had feared for his life since the shoot­ing nearby of Bas­sam Issa last month.

Com­ing to work now is a worry. I have to look over my shoul­der. I don’t want to be shot by ac­ci­dent by these gang­sters. I heard the shots and I was afraid,” he said.

Op­po­site Money Point is Bedford Montes­sori nurs­ery school.

A teacher who gave her name as Marla said that who­ever set off the bomb only me­tres from a build­ing full of chil­dren had no re­gard for life.

Many of the chil­dren have been ab­sent since Tues­day’s ex­plo­sion.

The nor­mally buzzing Har­bour restau­rant, which Kre­j­cir is said to fre­quent, had only a hand­ful of cus­tomers seated for lunch.

A waiter be­comes ag­i­tated when Kre­j­cir’s name comes up.

That man doesn’t come here any more.

Ev­ery­one is ask­ing about him and we are tired of these ques­tions. The owner is also tired and won’t an­swer you,” he said abruptly.

Man­age­ment at Bedford Cen­tre mall said busi­ness had not been af­fected by the blast and man­age­ment at East­gate mall, which is op­po­site Money Point, said it would re­spond to queries about se­cu­rity this week.

DA ward coun­sel­lor Michelle Clark said res­i­dents had asked her to or­gan­ise a pe­ti­tion to get Kre­j­cir out of Bed­ford­view and out of the coun­try. Once the pe­ti­tion has been worded prop­erly and signed, we will take it to par­lia­ment,” she said.

But Kre­j­cir says he is go­ing nowhere. He told Talk Ra­dio 702 that pri­vate in­ves­ti­ga­tor Paul O’Sul­li­van was tar­nish­ing his good name.

O’Sul­li­van has wel­comed the SARS de­ci­sion to at­tach Kre­j­cir’s as­sets. I am very ex­cited that his HE ar­rived in South Africa from the Sey­chelles in 2007 on a fake pass­port with the name Eg­bert Jules Savy.

He was ar­rested on an In­ter­pol red no­tice and claimed he was tor­tured in his home coun­try and was a vic­tim of po­lit­i­cal con­spir­acy. He was con­victed in ab­sen­tia in the Czech Re­pub­lic on charges of tax fraud.

Kre­j­cir is mar­ried to Ka­te­rina and they have two sons. He set­tled in Bed­ford­view in a man­sion on Kloof Street.

Kre­j­cir, Ja­son Domingues and Ve­selin La­ganin were ar­rested in Fe­bru­ary last year on charges of armed rob­bery and fraud. Those charges were later dropped.

Charges against Kre­j­cir in an­other case, in­volv­ing a R4.5mil­lion in­sur­ance claim, were pro­vi­sion­ally with­drawn.

He is also em­broiled in a le­gal bat­tle to fight at­tempts by the Czech govern­ment to ex­tra­dite him.

He has ap­plied for refugee sta­tus in South Africa and will ap­pear again in court on De­cem­ber 8.

At least seven of his as­so­ciates, in­clud­ing La­ganin, have been as­sas­si­nated in un­der­world-style killings, but he has never faced a charge or been ar­rested for any of these crimes.

He has de­nied all al­le­ga­tions against him. world is fall­ing apart and I am pleased that I gave a help­ing hand,” he said. I hope he goes to prison and af­ter he has served time here the govern­ment must send him back to the Czech Re­pub­lic to serve more time for his crimes there.” Ad­di­tional re­port­ing Mzwandile

kaBizokwakhe

by

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from South Africa

© PressReader. All rights reserved.