Lamenting end of era
SADLY, times passes, and the era of rail diminishes as modern technology takes over.
The Cape Government passed a bill early in 1882, which authorised the construction of the Grahamstown-Port Alfred line, using the Cape gauge of 3ft.6in.
The government agreed to subsidise the builders of the line with five hundred thousand pounds. The private enterprise, which started off with a capital of two hundred thousand pounds, was named the Kowie Railway Company Limited.
The first manager of the Kowie Railway Co was Henry Putt, a resident of Grahamstown. Later he became a director of the enterprise, which was liquidated in 1912.
In February 1913, the line was taken over by the government through the South African Railways, until closure.
GRAND OLD ENGINE: The Port Alfred Hunslet, which once operated on the Grahamstown-Port Alfred line