Driver unhurt in buggy fire
ABEACH buggy driver was lucky to escape unhurt after his vehicle caught alight at the corner of Becker Street and Southwell Road on Tuesday morning. Mccomb was driving in Becker Street at about 9.45am and was about to turn into Southwell Road to go on a fishing trip, when the unexpected incident occurred.
A woman walking behind the beach buggy, yelled repeatedly at Mccomb after noticing fire at the back of the vehicle.
Mccomb did not hear her at first over the noise of his beach buggy engine, but his attention was diverted to a number of stop-and-go workers who were aghast at the flames, before stopping the vehicle and seeing the flames just behind his seat.
He immediately took out a fire extinguisher to douse the flames. Stop-and-go workers also ran towards the vehicle, some using their drinking water to dampen the flames.
Dazed by the incident, Mccomb said: “I was lucky I had my fire extinguisher with me. Without the fire extinguisher we would not have been able to stop it.”
When asked about the cause of the fire, Mccomb said a petrol leak must have caused it. The beach buggy itself did not have major damage.
EAGER TO HELP: Workers at a stop-and-go and a sharp-eyed pedestrian alerted beach buggy owner Jerry Mcomb that his vehicle was on fire on Tuesday morning, and assisted in extinguishing the blaze. From left are Litha Ntonti, Nkunzi Dube and Mccomb