Painting Bathurst landmarks
“Close to this site in 1820 Colonel Jacob Cuyler made his camp while supervising the placing of the settlers on their locations. While camped here at the same time Sir Rufane Donkin chose the site for the administrative centre to be named Bathurst.
“The beacon was erected by Captain W Bailey as an observing station during his survey of the Eastern Districts, 1855-59. Historical Monuments Commission 1968.”