Kwaito star to know his fate soon
BY MONTH end, kwaito star Sipho “Brickz” Ndlovu will know how many years he will spend in jail.
A pre-sentencing trial was meant to have started yesterday in the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court but Ndlovu’s legal representative Piet du Plessis asked for a postponement to September 28 to prepare heads of argument as they were missing a few parts of the transcript from the judgment.
Du Plessis said he needed a week or two to analyse the records, including the doctors reports and put short heads of argument together.
His lawyer also said they would appeal the verdict. Ndlovu was found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl at his Ruimsig home in 2013.
He had been out on R50 000 bail during the trial but was rearrested and on August 1 mMagistrate John Baloyi denied bail pending his sentence.
At the time, Baloyi said giving Ndlovu bail at this stage of the trial would not serve the interest of justice. Prosecutor Salie Pratisha had earlier argued against Ndlovu’s bail being extended.
“He is well known, he has money and can invade trial more easily than an ordinary citizen. The victim says Ndlovu is a violent person and fears for her life when he comes out.
“It is also not in the interest of justice for a convicted rapist to come back to the community and if he is released it will cause a delay in the sentencing procedings,” Pratisha said.
Meanwhile, speaking on Tshisa Live, Brickz’s wife Nqobile Ndlovu yesterday said she was stressed because the musician was her husband and father of her kids. “The situation is weighing me down. Brickz is my husband, we have been together for a long time and he is the father of my kids. I am overwhelmed by the whole situation and I cannot think straight.”
During the last court hearing Ndlovu had told the court that he was willing to serve his sentence.
“I cannot change anything this court has decided. I’ve come to realise that this fake accusation is serious and the victim. The witnesses are my relatives and the truth will come out eventually,” Ndlovu said.
He said he was innocent and his con-
DELAYED: Kwaito musician Sipho ‘Brickz’ Ndlovu’s sentencing has been postponed to September 28.