Heir found for chieftancy
BAROLONG BOO-SELEKA FINALLY HAVE A SUCCESSOR AFTER LONG DISPUTE
THE long standing dispute as to who should be the next chief of the Barolong Boo-Seleka in Thaba Nchu, about 60km east of Bloemfontein, was finally resolved by the provincial government last week.
The disputes regarding succession in the traditional leadership of the Barolong Boo-Seleka had troubled the Barolong for many generations but excitement was in the air after it was decided who would be regent of the clan.
In a report released last Friday, it was established that Chief Moroka II’s “identification of Tshipinare as his successor was contrary to the tradition and cultures” of Barolong Boo-Seleka and subsequently recommended that the “Royal family identify a suitable candidate from the house of Richard Maramantshi as being the most appropriate save for the houses of Setilo and or Moipolai, which are still based in Botswana”.
In the meantime, however, the acting senior traditional leader Moutloatsi Setlogelo will remain in his position until all administrative issues have been finalised.
The news of the report was seen as a major breakthrough that elated the entire community of Barolong Boo-Seleka.
The general secretary of the Royal Council of Barolong Boo-Seleka, Kenosi Mojanaga, said they were overjoyed with the news.
“We are over the moon with the news that the dispute regarding succession in the traditional leadership of the Barolong Boo-Seleka has finally been resolved. The dispute has worried the Barolong over many years but we are glad that premier Ace Magashule and his government have settled this matter, ” he said.
Mojanaga said this matter should have been resolved internally many years ago. However, they were thrilled that the people of Thaba Nchu will now have a proper chieftancy.
Mojanaga, who for years has led Barolong to get the rightful heir to take charge, said he could now focus on rebuilding their community in Thaba Nchu.
“Although we believe that the matter should have been sorted out a long time ago, we, are satisfied that significant progress has been made and we would like to thank the provincial government for the efforts they have made to resolve the matter,” he said.
Mojanaga said their plight began many years ago and in 2014 then cooperative governance and traditional affairs MEC Olly Mlamleli took the matter to the Commission on Traditional Disputes and Claims, appointed by the then cooperative governance and traditional affairs minister Pravin Gordhan.
Barolong wanted Premier Ace Magashule and his executive to issue a certificate to the rightful heir of Barolong Boo-Seleka but the matter took far too long.
Premier spokesperson Tiisetso Makhele said director-general Kopung Ralikontsane on Friday convened meetings with delegates sent from the royal family of the Barolong Boo-Seleka and tabled the report along with its findings and recommendations to them.
He said when the provincial government became aware of the dispute, it mandated the then department of local government and housing to try to resolve the dispute.
“After years of engaging with different stakeholders to try to reach a settlement on the issue the dispute was referred to the commission on traditional leadership, disputes and claims for further processing,” Makhele said.
Makhele said the premier received the report in April 2016 and began an extensive process of stakeholder engagement to establish a task team.