Power restored in town
Unprepared blackout causes residents of Uniondale major inconvenience for five hours
POWER has at last been restored in several areas of the small town of Uniondale after frequent power outages.
Community members spent five hours in a blackout in and around the small farming area of Uniondale in the Karoo on Tuesday.
Residents said the problem started when lights just switched off without any warning, causing a major blackout in the streets, houses and shops.
The situation forced several households to use candles to bring light to their homes.
Families interviewed said school children were hit the hardest as they were unable to do their school work.
Johnson Massdorp, a resident, said the frequent blackouts were causing a lot of strain as it distracted pupils from studying.
“We are very disturbed by the power cuts because school children and businesses are the most affected,” Massdorp said.
“We hope this problem can be resolved. This is not the first time that power has gone off. It is now becoming a common thing.”
George municipality spokesperson Debra Sauer confirmed the power cuts and said: “Power was off in portions of Lyonsville areas and the sewerage plant.
“A faulty 11kV termination is the cause. Contractors and municipal staff are busy with the repairs.”
Another resident said he was baffled when the power just went off without any warning last week.
“I was beginning to cook supper when the electricity went off,” the resident said. “We were forced to go to the shops and buy candles.
“It was dark outside and there were no lights in the streets.
“Life without electricity is really a serious problem because we are used to having it.”
A local spaza shop owner said: “Five hours without electricity is a big problem because we have stuff to be sold in the refrigerator.
“That causes a lot of problems because we can’t sell damaged or rotten food.
“We will be very pleased if the municipality informs us in time before the next power cuts.”
BLACKOUT: Power has been restored to areas in Uniondale after frequent electricity outages left residents frustrated and having to make use of candles.