More bad weather expected in KZN
KWAZULU-NATAL is bracing itself for more inclement weather with two imminent cold fronts approaching the province which is still recovering from Tuesday’s floods.
Premier Willies Mchunu said KZN was in the path of strong winds travelling between East London and Mozambique.
“This is how the storm gathered steam last time and we need to heed warnings as once again we are in the path of these gale force winds which could prove disastrous,” he said.
Strong winds accompanied by heavy rains were expected to hit eThekwini yesterday evening and continue today .
eThekwini municipal spokesperson Tozi Mthethwa said the strong winds were likely to result in more damage to structures, falling trees and traffic congestion due to the impact on roadways. She urged the public to stay indoors where possible.
“Wave heights are predicted to rise up to four meters which could present a threat to bathers and surfers.
“Residents, particularly those in the informal settlements, are requested to attempt to secure roof sheeting as heavy winds could cause damage to them. Tacking the roof with extra nails or adding some weight to the sheeting might assist to hold it in place,” Mthethwa said.
Meanwhile, mop-up operations were still underway yesterday after Tuesday’s storms. Members of the provincial government and eThekwini mayor Zandile Mchunu visited some affected families.
Zanele Mazibuko from Nquthu whose brother Bheki, 72, was swept away by the overflowing Ngongo River said: “He was a good man, and it has yet to sink in that he is really gone. The entire family is still shaken by what happened. We are grateful for the support that we have received and continue to receive.”
Mchunu said it was difficult to quantify the amount of damage caused to the infrastructure, which includes eight hospitals and 133 schools.
“Some of the schools affected were going to be used as marking centres. The damage to the schools is estimated to cost around R136m to repair. Some schools had been previously damaged by heavy rains two weeks ago and now they have been further damaged,” Mchunu said.
The premier also called for an investigation into storm drains in the province as well as materials used by construction companies and workmanship in the building of structures like hospitals and homes that were brought down by the winds and heavy rains.
FLOODS: Cars were submerged on Prospecton Rd following heavy rains on Tuesday.